DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2010
Package Pilot

Default VirtualBox late info

First thing I learn about VirtualBox running Fedora-13 as guest on a Windows-7 machine, it take 100% cpu off the top. Windows 2003 takes 1-8% ... and now I read this late in Chapter-6:

"VirtualBox also has limited support for so-called jumbo frames, i.e. networking packets with more than 1500 bytes of data, provided that you use the Intel card virtualization and bridged networking. In other words, jumbo frames are not supported with the AMD networking devices; in those cases, jumbo packets will silently be dropped for both the transmit and the receive direction. Guest operating systems trying to use this feature will observe this as a packet loss, which may lead to unexpected application behavior in the guest. This does not cause problems with guest operating systems in their default configuration, as jumbo frames need to be explicitly enabled."

I don't need no packet loss even if only for testing and what up with the price for Vmware 7.1.1. I got the 30 day trial. Been a week of non-use and I seen no price yet so that means a trick is coming (one year licenses, etc). I guest KVM is the way to go but with LINUX/x-WINDOWS 100% CPU usages somebody is very confused ... and where was the clue before chapter-2. If I did catch this days latter I be facing a electric bill 40-60-80 times its present size. I'm surprise my machine did not burn-up over-night. Vbox is so easy and it works, but WHY???

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

WEB-1 = PF and Gateway for LAN.
WEB-2 = Win-7 host, vBOX guest Fedora-13
WEB-3 = simple web access and cross-browsers coding on private web sever WEB-4 = Web sever - BSD machine with WWW tools, each jailed.