DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2008
Port Guard

Default Gnash not working on FreeBSD 6.4

Because of the rather extreme bugginess of the 7.0 branch, I've decided to use FreeBSD 6.4. Unfortunately, much to my annoyance, I have discovered that Gnash does not work on it (and using linux-flashplugin isn't an option, as this is the amd64 version). I don't mean "loads but doesn't work"; I mean, it does not even show up in Firefox's aboutlugins page, in spite of definitely being installed. Deleting pluginreg.dat doesn't seem to change anything. Anyone know how to fix this?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Who's telling you that the 7.0 branch has "extreme bugginess"? Also, don't use Gnash. It's rather unstable and much of a resource hog compared to swfdec.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2008
Port Guard

Re bugginess: my own experience. My USB mouse doesn't work with 7.0, there's lots of little cursor freezes in X, pkg_add keeps buggering out, etc.

Re Gnash: from what I've seen, swfdec is usually a horrible CPU hog (random spikes to 80-90% and whatnot), whereas Gnash is faster and less resource intensive (about 40% CPU usage, comparable to Adobe's flash plugin).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2008
UNIX lover

>My USB mouse doesn't work with 7.0, there's lots of little cursor freezes in X

The latter was a problem with Xorg and FreeBSD, should be fixed already. The mouse, well the are some mice with problems especially those from Microsoft (lots of them fixed in stable, e.g. Microsoft Optical Notebook).

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-...ator=&release=

It depends more or less on the device, sometimes it's better in 6.x, most of the time it's better in 7.x. With the advent of 8.0 next year (or the end) we will see a news usb stack (USB2).

>pkg_add keeps buggering out

There are only 'two bugs': a bad mirror and/or the expectation for packages. The latter you will see at releases only or if you're following the stable branch (pointyhat-server - http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/ - at the bottom).