DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2016
Shell Scout

Exclamation multiple Mousepad windows?

Hello everyone,

After I opened about 10 windows of Mousepad, the hard drive run heavily and none of the Mousepad windows responded. When I tried to close a Mousepad, I got this message:
Quote:
This window might be busy and is not responding. Do you want to terminate the application?
When I click "Yes", all the Mousepad windows was closed except the last one I opened. Can anyone help me fix this problem?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2016
More noise than signal

Mousepad is a GTK application. If you start the application from a terminal window, you will see a stream of GTK related errors, such as when I ran it just now. Each time I opened a window with Ctrl-Shift-N, I got more and more and more of these. By the hundreds, then by the thousands.
Code:
(mousepad:715): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_style_scheme_get_id: assertion 'GTK_IS_SOURCE_STYLE_SCHEME (scheme)' failed

(mousepad:715): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_style_scheme_manager_get_scheme: assertion 'scheme_id != NULL' failed

(mousepad:715): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_style_scheme_get_id: assertion 'GTK_IS_SOURCE_STYLE_SCHEME (scheme)' failed

(mousepad:715): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

If you use an Internet search engine, and search for "GtkSourceView-CRITICAL" your top hits will ALL be for the mousepad application. The issue is apparently very common.

While I do not have a solution for you, I do have two possible circumventions:
  • Start multiple instances of mousepad rather than opening multiple windows
  • Use a different text editor
---

The thread title was not helpful -- as it described a symptom, but did not mention the application having the symptom.

---

When reporting problems, it is always helpful to know your OS release, OS flavor, and hardware architecture. If you want to get support from this port's maintainer, you can find Landry's Email address with $ pkg_info mousepad. Landry will want to know your release, flavor, and architecture, so if you Email him, send a copy of your dmesg(8), as that contains this information. He'll also want to know exactly which mousepad package you have installed. As an example, I ran my simple test with mousepad-0.4.0p0, your installed package may differ.

---

Edited to add: I was logging console output during that test. Opening only 7 windows produced 227,900 lines of GTK and Glib errors.

Last edited by jggimi; 12th February 2016 at 02:13 AM. Reason: counted GTK errors
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The thread title was not helpful -- as it described a symptom, but did not mention the application having the symptom.
Agreed, changed, & moved to the packages/ports subforum.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th February 2016
Shell Scout

Thanks for the responses.