DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th March 2021
Port Guard

Default tips for using openbsd

hi,guys ,would you mind share your openbsd tips,for myself ,i have a intel i7-6700 with 8G ram compute,my daily use is firefox and word process with libreoffice, i use follow setting

1.set softdep in fstab

2.set swap firefox mfs in fstab

3.set graphic acceleration for firefox in xsession

after that ,i fell better than before,and i am not sure is there more thing like this to improve daily use .

and if there are ,please tell me .
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th March 2021
Linux

Add noatime to fstab for better disk performance.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th March 2021
Shell Scout

if you decide to use mfs with Firefox, you should add this:
Code:
~/Desktop rwc
/mnt/tmpfs rwc
To file /etc/firefox-esr/unveil.main
were /mnt/tmpfs is were you mount your mfs drive.

I added Desktop since firefox wants access to that in order to download your bookmarks.

But I set TMPDIR to /mnt/tmpfs, so I do not know what else is needed to do what you are hoping to do. Firefox does respect TMPDIR, some temp files will end up there.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th March 2021
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccue View Post
if you decide to use mfs with Firefox, you should add this:
Code:
~/Desktop rwc
/mnt/tmpfs rwc
To file /etc/firefox-esr/unveil.main
were /mnt/tmpfs is were you mount your mfs drive.

I added Desktop since firefox wants access to that in order to download your bookmarks.

But I set TMPDIR to /mnt/tmpfs, so I do not know what else is needed to do what you are hoping to do. Firefox does respect TMPDIR, some temp files will end up there.
thank you very much
by the way i set mfs like follow
swap /tmp mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,-s=300m 0 0
swap /home/zero/.cache/mozilla/firefox mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,-s2097150 0 0
and in unveil.main set /mnt/swap ? or just /swap rwc right?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th March 2021
Shell Scout

Code:
Looks fine to me

Code:
Looks OK to me

Quote:
and in unveil.main set /mnt/swap ? or just /swap rwc right?
Where did /mnt/swap come from ? You should add your mount points to unveil but the 2nd swap mount point seems to be "/home/zero/.cache/mozilla/firefox". see man fstab(5), the 2nd field is the mount point.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2021
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccue View Post
Code:
Looks fine to me

Code:
Looks OK to me

Where did /mnt/swap come from ? You should add your mount points to unveil but the 2nd swap mount point seems to be "/home/zero/.cache/mozilla/firefox". see man fstab(5), the 2nd field is the mount point.
thank you!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2021
Package Pilot

Are these general tips you are looking for, or just how to make firefox run faster?

The thing I have learned from using OpenBSD for a couple of years or so, as an ordinary desktop user,
is not to mess around with its settings much, as they put the default settings that way for a reason.

My general tips:
Only use firefox or chrome when you have to, like when a site you absolutely need to access requires javascript.
Otherwise use a simple light browser.
I won't change how my harddrive works just for a browser, because it is up to firefox to make their browser run fast, not me.

Do not store your bookmarks in a browser, use a bookmark manger to store them separately instead,
so you can change browser any time you feel like it without any worries.

The only setting I change on OpenBSD is the password timer in /etc/doas.conf,
because it feels awful to have to type in your password,
every time you type a command that requires root.
And I feel guilty changing that much.

Last edited by Prevet; 12th March 2021 at 10:20 AM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th March 2021
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
Are these general tips you are looking for, or just how to make firefox run faster?

The thing I have learned from using OpenBSD for a couple of years or so, as an ordinary desktop user,
is not to mess around with its settings much, as they put the default settings that way for a reason.

My general tips:
Only use firefox or chrome when you have to, like when a site you absolutely need to access requires javascript.
Otherwise use a simple light browser.
I won't change how my harddrive works just for a browser, because it is up to firefox to make their browser run fast, not me.

Do not store your bookmarks in a browser, use a bookmark manger to store them separately instead,
so you can change browser any time you feel like it without any worries.

The only setting I change on OpenBSD is the password timer in /etc/doas.conf,
because it feels awful to have to type in your password,
every time you type a command that requires root.
And I feel guilty changing that much.
i respect you ,i dont know what purpose you used openbsd for ?but for me i just use it mainly for firefox and word process,i like openbsd ,but if it cant just achieve my require ,i mean just not smooth , i have to change other os,if there are some tips can make it better,i personly think it's ok.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th April 2021
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by leave0 View Post
i respect you ,i dont know what purpose you used openbsd for ?but for me i just use it mainly for firefox and word process,i like openbsd ,but if it cant just achieve my require ,i mean just not smooth , i have to change other os,if there are some tips can make it better,i personly think it's ok.
The reason I said that is the settings they put on Firefox are to protect you, and you are undoing them for convenience which may bite you later.

A few weeks back they were discussing on OpenBSD reddit how the Javascript programmers have figured out a way to let any website you visit read your home directories, and also write to them. An OpenBSD setting mitigates that somewhat by restricting that nonsense to the Downloads directory, so I assume bookmarks were set that way in Firefox by the OpenBSD people to protect you.

This is why I do not try to change the settings on Firefox and why I try not to use it much at all, because I don't trust the people who make it. By not trust I don't think they are bad people. They just like to make big bloated software.

Why do I use OpenBSD? Because I care about security and don't trust anyone else. OpenBSD have proven they are willing to put security above convenience. I respect their idealism. Linux on the other hand is about convience and tons of features. I think OpenBSD's way is better.

Last edited by Prevet; 6th April 2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 25th June 2021
Port Guard

Question simple light browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leave0 View Post
You mention using a simple light browser. Which browsers in Openbsd would fall into this category in your opinion?
Old 30th June 2021
Port Guard

Try CWM.

It is the perfect wm for a laptop. It is the perfect wm for having a thousand windows open, and still be able to find things. The window labelling feature is amazing, and I am surprised I haven't seen it elsewhere.
Old 1st July 2021
Package Pilot

https://www.reddit.com/r/openbsd/com...l_web_browser/

Terminal based browsers are the lightest. Turn off Javascript and you will notice a huge difference. You won't be able to browse Amazon, Ebay, do banking, or use social media with these browsers, but if you are doing research they are fine.

Dillo is a GUI based one and it's very light.

Tor-browser is the next lightest one, after that they are very slow. Tor-browser doesn't seem to get updates on release with updates, so unless you are on current, perhaps you shouldn't use it.

Don't expect webpages to look perfect using any of the above browsers (except torbrowser), because without Javascript and a big corporation writing 10s of millions of lines of code for their browsers, the web is broken.

As general advice if you have an older machine, look for programs that don't use memory managed langauages. Go to Github look at the description for the software and it will tell you the languages that were used to make it. I look for older C programs, as that generation of programmers were taught how to manage memory, while the younger generations are no longer taught this skill.

If you want to find programs that run fast on OpenBSD generally avoid ones written in memory managed languages. OpenBSD does a lot of checking of memory behind the scenes, so if the program is allocating every update, and spreading its allocations all over its memory OpenBSD will run slow, because it is working really hard searching for data to read in. (I am guessing what OpenBSD is doing, as I am not a dev). With programs written by people who understand memory management, they don't allocate very often and they line up the memory so it is easy for the computer to find, read in, and process. That is why they run so fast even on old machines.

If you want to watch video on youtube and other video sites, you can download their videos using a program called youtube-dl. There's a video player called mpv that can also be used to watch videos directly from some websites if you start it with the web address.

Last edited by Prevet; 1st July 2021 at 04:00 AM.