DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2020
parrot

Default No keyboard input at boot

I just now found something strange happened to my system, it appears there is no keyboard input while booting, so I can not for example boot using "single user" mode,
I try to type in
Code:
boot> boot -s
as shown here: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html
But no response, no letters appear, and after a few seconds it continues boot as normal,
in the past this all ways worked, I very rarely need to boot as single user, the last time I did was a couple of upgrades ago, 6.5 to 6.6, I used the boot with bsd.rsd method, and had no problem, at the prompt > bsd.rd and it used the bsd.rd , now if I wanted to do that I wouldn't be able to, as well, no "b" gets typed,..
The most recent upgrade to 6.7 (from 6.6) I used the new 'sysupgrade' and it seemed to work fine, did something change ? and I did not notice it in the errata, changes, ? or ?
Also I am not at all sure how to go about trouble shooting this, any ideas ?
Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2020
Fdisk Soldier

1) At the boot prompt press spacebar key on the keyboard to pause the boot loader.
2) enter boot -s
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2020
parrot

Ahh, ok thanks, I will give that a try.
===edited====
Well thanks , but that did not work either. I never needed to do that in the past.

Last edited by PapaParrot; 14th June 2020 at 06:16 AM. Reason: add comment, it did not work
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2020
Fdisk Soldier

Is it USB keyboard? Did you unplug the keyboard recently? Is it the same keyboard you've been using in 6.6?
Some motherboards have a special "Always ON" USB port intended for keyboards. The keyboard must be plugged into that special port to be recognized at boot.
In BIOS, enable USB legacy devices, it may solve your problem.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2020
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

I presume that the keyboard works fine once the system has booted, yes?

What happens if you try to load one of the snapshot images? Does the keyboard work at the 'boot>' prompt for those?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2020
parrot

Yes it works when it is booted, I don't know on the snapshot images, have not tried that,...but that is a thought, also I could see what happens with a boot cd, I have one with the older image, ...it is not urgent, since it boots ok, and evrything works fine, but it is still odd that this changed, I will get back later today, thanks
=====================

Last edited by PapaParrot; 15th June 2020 at 12:46 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2020
parrot

I did try using a boot cd, with openbsd 6.6 on it, and still the same problem. Also, I did not think about it, but this computer has 2 HD s,...the second drive has OpenBsd 6.6 on it as well, any way I still have the same problem booting with the second drive. So that eliminates the most recent upgrade to 6.7 as the cause , or problem. It must be either my bios, or my keyboard,....I don't think this is really even OpenBsd related any more, except that I happen to be using it as my OS.
I still am not sure how to trouble shoot this, unfortunately I do not have another keyboard I can try, I have not made any changes to the bios, so am mystified as to why I used to be able to type 'boot -s' at the boot> prompt, and now I can not type anything until after it has booted.Would my dmesg output be of any use ? I don't see anything that is of use, but I am not sure what to look for either,..any ideas are welcome. thanks
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2020
parrot

Just to close this, it definitely is something hardware related, installed OpenBsd 6.7 on a laptop and it does not have this problem, don't know if there is some settings in the bios that might effect it, maybe will look into that more later.