DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2012
Linux/ Unix User

Default Xorg Screens & pkgsrc Help

Hi,
I need some help getting my screens working properly. I am however unsure if my graphics card is supported.

Ok, so my current situation is that Xorg as it will not configure properly if the NVIDIA GPU is the present graphics driver. Xorg will complain that the screens cannot be found and configuration failed. This is circumvented as my desktop motherboard has a built-in ASPEED VGA driver which when used instead, Xorg will configure and i can run the GNOME Desktop Environment under NetBSD.

Is there a way to configure the Xorg manually when no config has been created?
And is my NVIDIA 570GTX graphics card supported under the xf86-video-nv driver? or can i use the FreeBSD x64 NVIDIA driver provided by NVIDIA?

Finally my last issue is with pkgsrc, i cannot seem to make pkgsrc save the pkg_path even though i have followed the instructions in the NetBSD guide.

Can someone provide me with the instructions on how to save the PKG_PATH directory, so you don't have to keep re-entering it everytime you start a new session.

Regards SL6-A2000
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2012
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL6-A2000 View Post
Is there a way to configure the Xorg manually when no config has been created?
Yes. One way is to run, as root,

# Xorg -configure

which will create a file /root/xorg.conf.new which you can edit to your liking. Reference to xorg.conf(5) may help. When done, copy the result to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. (If there's an existing file there, you might want to back it up first.) Or you could just start from scratch after reading the man page.

Quote:
And is my NVIDIA 570GTX graphics card supported under the xf86-video-nv driver?
I don't know as I don't use modular Xorg or NVidia, sorry, but is there any documentation that comes with this component of modular Xorg?

Quote:
or can i use the FreeBSD x64 NVIDIA driver provided by NVIDIA?
I would think not, the two OSs don't have binary compatibility.

Quote:
Can someone provide me with the instructions on how to save the PKG_PATH directory, so you don't have to keep re-entering it everytime you start a new session.
Your shell will have a file such as ~/.profile into which you can enter things that will be read each time you log on. Assuming it is an sh-type shell you could edit the file to contain something like:

export PKG_PATH=http://ftp.netbsd.org/<whatever>

Since you run pkg_add(1) as root, make sure this goes in root's .profile.

Hope this helps a bit.