DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2014
Shell Scout

Default correct ulimit stack value

Just in case someone needs it, on my fresh NetBSD 6.1.2 (i386) install with 1GB memory, I experienced problems with running Emacs (installed from binary) which gave me segmentation fault (as already discussed somewhere on this forum). I followed the following recommendation:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ug/GeV3IX56gzs

.. and set stack size to 20000 in /etc/profile:
Code:
ulimit -s 20000
All fine, Emacs started launching. However, another program stopped to do, Firefox. It lead me to finding an interesting pattern: Firefox 'liked' lower stack size while Emacs was 'up for' a higher one. Consequently, if I set its value too low or too high one of the programs wouldn't run. At the end I found a value satisfactory for either program: ulimit -s 8000, so now I have both of them running.

I hope this advice will be useful for those who might experience a similar problem.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2014
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBSD View Post
I hope this advice will be useful for those who might experience a similar problem.
Thank you!

I had experienced the same problems over the last half year or so. I was able to solve the emacs by going to 8192 from 2048. I still have trouble with firefox, it will only run in "safe mode". I spent a lot of time on it and couldn't fix it. Will look at it again tomorrow based on your hint that smaller may be better. (Of course, maybe something else is wrong.)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2014

I tried ulimit -s 8000, but alas firefox still doesn't run. The process begins, but no window emerges and top(1) shows it as "parked". This is on 6.1.2 i386 with 384 MB ram. On the laptop (4 GB) firefox runs OK. I don't know if amount of ram is the problem, as seamonkey runs fine. I previously tried things like starting with no ~/.mozilla/firefox directory with much the same result.

My work-around is to use

Code:
[exec]   (Firefox) {ulimit -s 2048 ; /usr/pkg/bin/firefox -safe-mode}
in the ~/.fluxbox/menu file.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th January 2014
Shell Scout

There must be different solutions for computers with different memory size or possibly other parameters. So I suggest that you try other, lower values than 8000, setting them just from command line.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th January 2014

Quote:
There must be different solutions for computers with different memory size or possibly other parameters. So I suggest that you try other, lower values than 8000, setting them just from command line.
It's a good idea (although now I am using 2048 for Firefox 24.0 and it won't work without -safe-mode). However, everything has changed. Yesterday I downloaded an entire new Q4 set of binary packages, which includes Firefox 26.0. So I'll have to install them all, see if it works better, and if not then try various settings systematically as you suggest. I'm hoping Sunday will be possible for the big package upgrade.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th January 2014
Shell Scout

OK, fingers crossed!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th January 2014

Thanks I had time to upgrade the packages on the laptop (running HEAD) last night. Everything still seems ok on that one. We'll see what happens on the desktop ...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2014

No luck. Firefox 26.0 is behaving much like before. Running

% firefox &

with various stack limits I get:

Code:
8192	segfault
8000    park
4096	asked about safe mode, but parks
2048	park
If given the -safe-mode flag it runs if stack limit is < 8192. Oh well.

On the plus side, SeaMonkey is now up-to-date and I prefer it as a browser anyway, so I'll just use that.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
No luck. Firefox 26.0 is behaving much like before.
OK, too bad. I read somewhere in the bugtracker that this bug had been present since 5.x and they promised to get rid of it in the 6 series, but with no luck. NetBSD 7 is coming soon, hopefully it will be free of it.
Old 28th January 2014

Quote:
OK, too bad. I read somewhere in the bugtracker that this bug had been present since 5.x and they promised to get rid of it in the 6 series, but with no luck. NetBSD 7 is coming soon, hopefully it will be free of it.
Interesting, thanks. There is a difference along that line in my two machines. The laptop, where there is no problem, is running HEAD (not the latest, from December or so), which is perhaps the precursor to 7. The desktop, with the problem, is 6.1.2. The laptop has had HEAD for a while (well before December), but before that it was 6.X and if I recall correctly the problem was absent then too. (Maybe I don't recall correctly though.)

Another minor tweak: the desktop now has 512 meg RAM, up from 384, but the problem persists.