DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 4th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

As one New York paper said, well today we decide the course of the country for the next 4 years, or until President Bush decides to declare martial law.
Old 4th November 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Martial law was already introduced several years ago, it's called the `patriot act'.
Fdisk Soldier

That's one of the problems I have with Barr and I could never vote for him. He seems to flipflop on too many issues, he voted for Patriot Act before he was against it. He should have known better and never voted for it to begin with.

In the words of Congressman Kucinich:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuybefOu0t0

Edit: sorry i broke my promise not to directly criticize anyone

Last edited by chill; 5th November 2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 5th November 2008
BSD gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
That's one of the problems I have with Barr and I could never vote for him. He seems to flipflop on too many issues, he voted for Patriot Act before he was against it. He should have known better and never voted for it to begin with.

In the words of Congressman Kucinich:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuybefOu0t0

Edit: sorry i broke my promise not to directly criticize anyone
That has been a concern for me, as well. At the same time, I think it would be difficult to him to flip back over now that he's switched to Libertarian. If he were still Republican, I would definitely not believe anything he said.
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
He was on NPR a couple weeks ago and someone asked him about that. I forgot his answer but it made sense and he did not flip-flop on it.
Old 5th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
He was on NPR a couple weeks ago and someone asked him about that. I forgot his answer but it made sense and he did not flip-flop on it.
From reason.com:
Quote:
Reason: Do you regret voting for the USA PATRIOT Act?

Barr: I do. I was hoping at the time that it would not be used as a floor but as a ceiling. But it's been a taking-off point for expanded authority in a number of areas.
really? expanded authority? wow who would of guessed. It was just another in the long list of useless US Acts passed with a hidden agenda.

Wrong wording on my behalf, you are right that it is not a flip-flop. It was however a bad decision.
Old 5th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

gg

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/...ent/index.html
Old 5th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Well here goes- I voted for the President.

I'm not against the "3rd Party"/non-affiliated candidates, I just don't think it was all that bad to vote for Obama. I like him, I like what he stands for, and I think he can turn our country around. Oh yeah, and I don't want a hockey-mom that close to the nuclear codes.

BTW, I thought McCain's concession speech was amazing- as much as I disagreed with him during the campaign is as much as I have respect for him after that speech- he stood up in front of a throng of nothing-but-white people and talked about the historical significance of electing an African-American into the Oval Office. Now THAT'S a maverick move!
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post

I'm not against the "3rd Party"/non-affiliated candidates, I just don't think it was all that bad to vote for Obama. I like him, I like what he stands for, and I think he can turn our country around. Oh yeah, and I don't want a hockey-mom that close to the nuclear codes.

BTW, I thought McCain's concession speech was amazing- as much as I disagreed with him during the campaign is as much as I have respect for him after that speech- he stood up in front of a throng of nothing-but-white people and talked about the historical significance of electing an African-American into the Oval Office. Now THAT'S a maverick move!
Congratulations to Barack Obama, I do wish him the best. As I am a resident of the state of Illinois, when he ran for Senate 4 years ago I also voted for him. I knew he would be running for president one day, everyone REALLY liked him when he ran for Senate, also he was running against wacko Alan Keyes.
Anyways even though I don't agree with him all that much, it is inspiring to see the massive amounts of people that he gives hope to. Obama's presidency will be more symbolic to the American people than the effect of his policies.

Also McCain's concession speech was pretty decent I thought too. His Arizona ralliers were however completely rude. There is certainly no reason to boo and scream obscenities at your newly elected president whether you agree with him or not.
Old 5th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
really? expanded authority? wow who would of guessed.
Yep. Once government gets involved in anything, things get worse and they never go away.
Old 5th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post

I'm not against the "3rd Party"/non-affiliated candidates, I just don't think it was all that bad to vote for Obama.
Well, you didn't vote for Obama. You voted for Joe Biden and the Democratic Party and neither is going to let rookie Obama do more than give speeches.
Quote:
Oh yeah, and I don't want a hockey-mom that close to the nuclear codes.
That hockey mom had many more years experience than Obama but we've heard all this already.
Quote:
he stood up in front of a throng of nothing-but-white people
Yeah. I noticed, the last few years, being white is not in vogue or trendy. I'm going out today to get some body paint.
Old 6th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
also he was running against wacko Alan Keyes.
Hey! I like Dr. Keyes. I would have been thrilled to have had him be the first black president.

Truth is, for better or for worse, the United States is in practice a two party nation, and the presidency is going to go to a Democrat or a Republican. Ralph Nader is probably the alternative party candidate with the most votes, and he received only a fraction of a percentage of the popular vote.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Old 6th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
There's this book called ``Seven Words You Can't Say on Television'' by Steven Pinker ... I think we need to send these guys a copy of it, `obscenity' does have a goal ... It's also part of human nature (But then again, I would guess the CP doesn't believe in `human nature' either).
In the United States, the Courts have consistently ruled that First Amendment Rights are not absolute. Even the last half century, this has been reaffirmed by Court decisions. For example, you cannot go to an airport or onto a plane and yell "BOMB!!!". There are laws against both slander and libel. You cannot tell a lie to the authorities or in court.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Old 6th November 2008
Arp Constable

rofl<auto-snip>

If someone actually tried that on a plane, I really hope they got what they deserved for crying wolf!

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 6th November 2008
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
If someone actually tried that on a plane, I really hope they got what they deserved for crying wolf!
The truth is, they do. It's really not fair in this case, however, as the suspect had a mental illness.
Old 6th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Don't forget to vote today yankees. Even if your party will get less than 1% of popular vote at the end of the day like mine
If you believe that choosing any of them will change anything, then for sure you did not saw Zeitgeist: Addendum:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...05277695921912

I also encourage to check 1st part, original Zeitgeist: http://zeitgeistmovie.com

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 6th November 2008
Arp Constable

Hmm, now this is somewhat interesting

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 6th November 2008
Spam Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
If you believe that choosing any of them will change anything, then for sure you did not saw Zeitgeist: Addendum:

I also encourage to check 1st part, original Zeitgeist: http://zeitgeistmovie.com
Yes, watched both of these a while a go. Very interesting mind exercise, though probably not something that will come about anytime soon (especially the subject matter of Addendum). Too many vested interests, too much out of the box for the vast majority.

http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/
http://www.futurebydesign.org/
http://www.thevenusproject.com/
Old 6th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post

I agree 100% with you vermaden. I like how his first act of change was to start grabbing Clinton administration alum....