DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Programming

Programming C, bash, Python, Perl, PHP, Java, you name it.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th November 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default First steps in Web Development

Hello again.

The last year, I was thinking to start building a web page. So I began reading about html, php etc. I see this as a hobby, but I want to learn as much as possible. After I "finish" (and I quote finish because you can never learn everything) with the basic stuff, I need a little help about CMS. I need something that I can install quite easy on OpenBSD. I read about Silverstripe.

I know that perhaps this is a very general question, but can you propose something for a beginner? (and after that, the installation questions are coming )
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th November 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
I read about Silverstripe.
Silverstripe has not been ported to OpenBSD. This does not mean that it won't run on OpenBSD, but the amount of work required to make it work may range somewhere simple to quite involved. Seeing that the site provides some guidelines for installing on Linux, you will most likely need to resolve Linux filesystem differences. Studying the hier(7) manpage is a start.

There may also be library differences in which you will have to resolve. In essence, you are will be the first to port the application to OpenBSD, so there may be a myriad of issues which will need to be resolved.

My suggestion would be to search through what applications & frameworks have already been ported to OpenBSD, & one of simpler ways available is through OpenPorts. Recognize that the OpenPorts site lists all ported third party applications to -current. If you are running -release or -stable, some of the ports listed will be recently approved, & will not be available to -release or -stable users until OpenBSD 4.9. At the bottom of each page describing ported applications is a commit log of activity. From this, you will be able to discern whether the application is recent or established.
Quote:
...but can you propose something for a beginner? (and after that, the installation questions are coming )
Actually, it will be better if you find a problem in which you have interest. There will be at some point hard problems for you to resolve. If you are interested in the overall project, you may have enough motivation to get past the hard parts. If you aren't committed, it will be very easy to abandon the entire endeavor.

As ideas, build a family Webpage, a fan page for some organization you admire, a site which explains something you uniquely understand, or build some tool which can be used by a non-profit to advertise their services, track some resource(s), etc.