DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 29th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
when i run dmesg | grep ipw, i can see my nic and then when i run ifconfig ipw0 i get status: no network
I suggest you read the following:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=596

The fact that you see ipw(4) listed in dmesg(8) output doesn't tell the complete story. The rest of the information found on that same line may. In particular, if you see "not configured", the kernel is not identifying the chip. We may have also been able to glean other information, but we can't tell given the limited number of facts shared.
Old 29th July 2009
Banned

You do not have to agree to any EULA or license like you do in FreeBSD or NetBSD, after you install the firmware.. and reboot.. you can scan for access points using the "scan" command.

There have been several different ways to scan for access points in the past, but now it has been finally decided upon.

$ sudo ifconfig ipw0 scan

This will produce a list of access points that are within range, from there you can figure out the proper configuration settings to use..

Wireless is rather sporadic.. using the hostname.if(5) files may not be reliable if you're not always going to be in the vicinity of your network.. manually configuring the interface is probably the best method.

Good luck.. but do considering posting the output of dmesg and ifconfig, you can obtain it via an Ethernet connection.. or by saving it to a floppy or USB drive.
Old 30th July 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
...how do i scan for available ap's?
While BSDfan666's answer is correct, we provide better service to those posing questions by pointing out where they can find answers themselves. Not to belabor discussion or digress into triteness, but the cliche of "Give a man a fish, & he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, & he will eat for a lifetime..." has valor in this situation.

In particular, the answer to the above question can be found in ifconfig(8):
Code:
IEEE 802.11 (WIRELESS DEVICES)
     ifconfig wireless-interface [[-]bssid bssid] [[-]chan [n]]
     [[-]nwflag flag] [[-]nwid id] [[-]nwkey key] [[-]powersave [duration]]
     [scan] [[-]txpower dBm] [[-]wpa] [wpaakms akm,akm,...]
     [wpaciphers cipher,cipher,...] [wpagroupcipher cipher]
     [wpaprotos proto,proto,...] [[-]wpapsk psk]
     scan    Show the results of an access point scan.  In Host AP mode, this
             will dump the list of known nodes without scanning.
The manpages & FAQ are wonderful documents. World peace may be attainable if everyone studied them with fervency & zeal...

Old 30th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Give a man a fish, & he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, & he will eat for a lifetime...".

I do agree with this philosophy completely. I will continue my education, and read all the manuals then attempt once again. thanks for all of your help, everyone.
Old 30th July 2009
More noise than signal

It's an ongoing, and never ending process, divadgnol.

Welcome to the community.
Old 30th July 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
While BSDfan666's answer is correct, we provide better service to those posing questions by pointing out where they can find answers themselves.
My apologies, I'll make sure my "helpfulness" is a little more indirect in the future.
Old 30th July 2009
Custom Title Maker

There's another adage that may fit as well: Build a man a fire, and he stays warm for a day; set him on fire, and he stays warm for the rest of his life.