DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Uber Geek

Default OpenOffice on FreeBSD

A very common question is : "Does openoffice have a package?"

There is no official package but good-day.net provide a binary package for many versions of FreeBSD and many version of OpenOffice.

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/O...0-STABLE/i386/
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Hi to all,

This is my first post

Recently I was searching the same.. I have found the below packages for the i386 architecture on the central freebsd ftp server:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...rg-2.4.0_3.tbz
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...4.20080410.tbz

I just cannot understand why openoffice doesn't mentioning the freebsd platform from this main site.

Last edited by harisman; 8th May 2008 at 04:44 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Arp Constable

That blows, OpenOffice.org used to offer downloads for FreeBSD iirc. That was probably one of the reasons I began using it in the first place :\

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
Spam Deminer

There are some uno packages I can use with Linux or Windows which are not ported on other OSes. The PostgreSQL interface to name one.
So, I see it as, "you can run crippled versions of OpenOffice on the BSDs".
Other available specific applications do the job better than an OO module.

Makes me remember, in the ole days, StarOffice took over the whole Windows window management. A breakthrough at that time. Why did OpenOffice abandonned that single user interface for a complete desktop?
Question is not " why isn't there a package referenced for FreeBSD ?".
Question should be, why do I still need an OS or even a window manager to run OpenOffice?

There are 300+ Linux distros competing on the way they make it simple to install Firefox and OpenOffice (where did the StarOffice browser go?).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2008
Port Guard

Don't use a package for Openoffice or you will miss out all the goodies compile has to offer
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBSDin20Steps View Post
Don't use a package for Openoffice or you will miss out all the goodies compile has to offer
... and many hours of compiling, especially on older hardware

Openoffice and Java are included on HOLD_PKGS of my pkgtools.conf for this reason.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2008
Port Guard

The compiling OpenOffice is real marathon even or quite powerfull machine. I remember that few time I did it just to have nice KDE menu icons that are available after compiling.
By the way, I am surprised that quality of this software is advancing and it gets mature.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2008
rubenerd
-Guest-

Default Gnumeric and Abiword goodness

I know people hate it when you don't answer the question but instead tack on experience with other software, but I can't resist!

I was an OpenOffice.org/StarOffice user for many years but honestly for my uses Abiword and Gnumeric do just what I need now. There certainly are times when you do need a fully fledged office suite, but I think more people than less would be able to accomplish their work using just these tools.

Plus, they compile, install and run [b]so darn fast[b], on my new Core 2 Duo e8400 FreeBSD 7.0 desktop they both open faster than I can lift my finger off the mouse after clicking their menu icon!

I can't really vouch for KOffice having only lightly used Kspread a few times, but I imagine it's a similar story.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2008
Arp Constable

KOffice is a very good setup, Abiword... Although a fine and very lightweight word processor is what forced me into using .doc files for work for cross word-processor support :\

I can't help but to think this threads topic has become a bit lost.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 1st June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

IMO KOffice is nice, but, doesn't go to other programs smoothly (not the same formatting) and it is almost more resource intensive (high CPU?) than Open Office.
Old 16th June 2008
Port Guard

just looking at the porting openoffice to freebsd page there arent that many packages compiled for 6.3 and 7.0. either way there are so many ways that openoffice can be customized for various system options such as adding in KDE support to it and such. from what i hear as well the compile times have been getting faster.
Old 17th June 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey_james View Post
There is no official package but good-day.net provide a binary package for many versions of FreeBSD and many version of OpenOffice.
No official package? That depends how you define official. The OpenOffice page refers you to the FreeBSD ports tree, which I would take as official. Try:
Code:
pkg_add -r openoffice.org-2
In response to those who mention the benefits of compiling it yourself, I will say that I also am a die-hard compiler. However, my current desktop system is fairly dated and there are only 2 things that I use pre-compiled binaries for, which are Firefox and OpenOffice. These are two very-large compiles. Upgrades overnight at one thing, but if I urgently need to install or upgrade for a new feature, a package is the only choice.
Old 24th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Does Open Office perform pretty well on FreeBSD?
I hate using AbiWord because I dont use the GNOME desktop and I hate all the extra gnome libs. The gnome icon theme always messes with my XFCE rodent theme and thunar.
Old 25th June 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Does Open Office perform pretty well on FreeBSD?
Last time I used it (about a year ago) it worked just as well as it does on other platforms.
Old 25th June 2008
Spam Deminer

I recently compiled OpenOffice 3-dev on my desktop with -j1. I forgot to define -j8 or -j10, which I use for buildworld. It would've suited this compile very well, but I believe it took about 13 hours to compile.
Old 26th June 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppermine
By the way, I am surprised that quality of this software is advancing and it gets mature.
OOo is pretty damned good for my purposes.

I finally reached a tipping point where I was willing to tolerate the long compile time to get its great functionality. (Gnumeric is OK, but Abiword just isn't cutting it.)

Code:
> dmesg | egrep 'avail memory|CPU:'
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2793.08-MHz 686-class CPU)
avail memory = 1563394048 (1490 MB)
On that box, I started a screen session to compile editors/openoffice.org-2 before I left work yesterday. When I got in this morning it was finished. (I had to deal with the Sun / java licensing garbage from home, thus the screen session.)

Anyway, I agree with your comment. OOo "has arrived", as they say.
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBSDin20Steps View Post
I did. I had openoffice 3 and it was very slow. Yesterday I deinstalled beta and installed 2.4.1 (compile) from ports and it was the same: slow. I was very upset because I used to kake somethin with Impress for work but... I did came earlier at work this morning and use MS Office. As I remember lower versions were much faster (on Linux was faster than FreeBSD but was faster on FreeBSD as now).

I didn't change anything just compile for KDE support.

Thabks.
Old 9th September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Yes, OpenOffice.org is a resource hog ... So is Microsoft office 2007 by the way.
And compiling OO.o also takes ages ...

I know .... It sucks ... :-/
ISO Quartermaster

Even on my slow machine I think it takes eight hours. So I set it up to run overnight. It is not a big deal.
Old 9th September 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Even on my slow machine I think it takes eight hours. So I set it up to run overnight. It is not a big deal.
I did the same and I don't complain about compailing. Problem is that OpenOffice is very slow. Just for example:

Today I had a presentation at work. Yesterday I made at work 80% of my presentation on MS Office (Powerpoint), save file for powerpoint XP. Openoffice needed almost one minut to open a file. I tried to change a background of slide and I thought that program freeze... It need more than minut and I had 18 slides. And I did what I wrote before: went to work earlier and finished on MS WIndows Powerpoint.

I wish that KDE Office has a converters (plugins) for MS Office...