DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2008
New User

Default Some networking help

Hi guys,

Pretty new to openbsd and confusing myself on what I would like to do. I was using openbsd as my gateway box for everything, worked great. Recently I have moved to a wireless router, but I would still like to use my openbsd box. Instead of just throwing it on the wireless network though, I would like my openbsd box to use another internet connection(dsl). Wireless router is on cable.

So right now I have Openbsd connected to the dsl and online. Next to that I have a windows xp box connected via the wireless router on the cable. I have an open NIC in both computers. Can I connect these via the 2 nics directly, and access the openbsd box locally for any computer on the cable network? If that makes sense.. I've confused myself thinking about this and not sure how to go about setting it up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2008
Package Pilot

1. An ascii art network topology might help us better comprehend what what you'd like to do; and
  2. can the wifi "router" operate as an "access point" or in a "bridge mode?"
  3. do you have two or three NICs in the openBSD box?
/S
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2008
New User

1. heh, this is kind of as good as it gets from me. couldn't get spacing to show up in the post. so had to image it below.

Ok, so that windows XP with an extra unused NIC in it, which is next to the openbsd.. Id like to connect to the other extra NIC in the openbsd to be able to then connect locally through to the openbsd computer from anything on the Cable connection(on the left) through that network.
I hope that makes sense. I don't want to share internet connection between the 2, just be able to connect back and forth from the network cards between the cable side network / openbsd(dsl)

2. not that im aware of

3. 2 NICs. 1 being used to connect to the DSL modem. 1 unused at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obsd.jpg (39.9 KB, 83 views)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

So, you are looking for something like this?
Code:
  (                       Internet                     )
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       |                                     |
      Cable                                 DSL
       |                                     |
 ----------------                     ---------------
 |   Wireless   |                     |  Router/    |
 |Router/Modem  |                     |  Modem      |
 ----|----|------                     -------|-------
     |    |                                  |
 ------   |                           _______|_______
 |Other| -|----------                 |     if0     |
 |Hosts| |  Windows |                 | OpenBSD Box |
 ------- |    Box   ---Xover Cable----- if1         |
         ------------                 ---------------
If so, there should be no issues. You should set the IP details (addresses, subnet mask) manually on both the Windows box's second interface and OpenBSD's if1, to, say, 192.168.78.1/32 on on end and 192.168.78.2/32 on the other, but you should have no problems. Make sure that you put both hosts domain names and ips in both machine's host files (/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts in Vista and reportedly WinXP/2k/NT)

Edit: to do this sort of ascii-art, author your art in a text editor (vi, emacs, notepad if in windows), and then paste it between [code]..[/code] tags.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2008
New User

Yep, that is exactly what i am looking for. I had originally tried just setting ips, connecting but i wasnt able to ping or connect from either side.

Will give it another try, not sure what i could have done wrong though.

Thanks
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2008
New User

Ah, it looks like i was able to ssh into the openbsd box from the windows xp box it was directly connected to.. I just can't see that on anything else on the windows xp network("Other Hosts" in the above ascii), just that 1 computer.

not really sure what needs setup to reach it from the others on the cable side of the network. if thats something to do with the openbsd config and/or the windows box its directly connected into.. or something that needs allowed on the cable side router?

thanks again
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
Ah, it looks like i was able to ssh into the openbsd box from the windows xp box it was directly connected to..
I can only assume that you are connecting your OpenBSD system into a Windows box because you either have no other ports available on your router, or you are simply wanting to play with the two interfaces found on one particular Windows box.

What is still not clear from discussion thus far is what IP addresses are used for this subnet between the Windows box & your OpenBSD system.

I suspect that you have configured each interface on your Windows box to be on a different subnet, & you are questioning how to communicate from other hosts connected to this wireless router through your Windows box to your OpenBSD system. In other words, you are wondering how to route packets from one subnet to another through this Windows box. In the Microsoft world, this is called multihoming, & you will need to ensure that the Windows box is appropriatedly configured. Some information on multihoming can be found at the following:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457118.aspx
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th September 2008
New User

Hi,

Reason Id like to do this setup is because the openbsd box is fairly far away from the router, and if I put it on wireless it gets a little flakey and id like to keep it online. I figure I can do this by keeping it online via the other internet connection(dsl) but still get onto it locally from the windows box next to it. Which is on the wireless that may be flakey but at least wont kick it offline. Just knock me off the local ssh.

So far I have it setup as.

Router(cable)
Other hosts(from ascii) - 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0
Windows Box - Wireless nic - 192.168.0.5/255.255.255.0
- 2nd nic - 10.0.0.2/255.0.0.0

Connected to that 2nd nic via crossover cable to openbsd is
xl0 - 10.0.0.1/255.0.0.0
2nd nic - xl1 - dhcp(dsl connection)

So from other hosts I need to reach 10.0.0.1/255.0.0.0

It seemed simple to me, but when I try to figure out what to do next.. I'm stumped. I've been looking through trying to figuring out the windows multihoming setup but I can't seem to find what relates to what I'm trying to do yet. I'm not even entirely sure if I've done everything upto this point correctly.

I can access the openbsd box from the windows box though. It's just being able to get to it from the other hosts on that side..

Thanks again
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
Windows Box - Wireless nic - 192.168.0.5/255.255.255.0
- 2nd nic - 10.0.0.2/255.0.0.0

Connected to that 2nd nic via crossover cable to openbsd is
xl0 - 10.0.0.1/255.0.0.0
2nd nic - xl1 - dhcp(dsl connection)
This summary is a bit misleading. One interface on your OpenBSD system may be getting its IP address via a DHCP server from your DSL ISP, but xl0 exposed to your Windows box appears to be manually set as is the IP address of your second NIC on your Windows box itself.
Quote:
So from other hosts I need to reach 10.0.0.1/255.0.0.0
Correct. You have hosts on one subnet which need to communicate to a host in a different subnet. Routers classically redirect packets from one subnet into another.

The problem you are experiencing is when hosts on 192.168.0.0/24 want to send a message to 10.0.0.0/8, the sending NIC will see that the target address is on a different subnet, so they will send packets destined to 10.0.0.0/8 via the default router -- which is most likely configured to be your wireless router. When your wireless router receives packets for yet another private network, it will most likely be dropping the packets as it should.

What you really want to do is:
  • route all packets destined to 10.0.0.0/8 to your Windows box. It is up to you to determine whether your wireless router is flexible enough in its configuration to support this kind of action.
  • Your wireless router will also need to have a default route which points anything not targeting 10.0.0.0/8 on to your cable ISP.
  • Your Windows box will also need to be configured as a router (multihoming) as discussed earlier.
Could this be simpler? Yes, but you have already cited reasons for why you don't want to have your OpenBSD system connected to your wireless router.