DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 1st August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
It's a star : router provides internet access to 5 machines...
This isn't a network diagram, but we have seen before that getting information from you (even when requested several times...) is like plugging teeth with a pair of pliers.

If you were really interested in finding out the cause of any slowness experienced, I would suggest testing either with a different intermediate device or better yet, simply use a cross-over cable (which is not the same as a straight cable used to connect to your router device...), & simply connect the client directly to the server. Again, the point is to reduce the number of variables involved.
Old 3rd August 2012
bsdstudent

Hi ocicat ! good news .. I've done exactly what you prescribed : a fresh OpenBSD install on both machines (Acer Aspire & iBook ) .. wired connection .. result was : very fast FTP serving . Here is my network diagram :

Network ----> Router (192.168.1.1 )
------> Acer aspire [bce0] (192.168.1.2 netmask 255.25.255.0) as FTP server

------> iBook [gem0] (192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0) as FTP client

I run Ftpd as daemon not via inetd.
/etc/rc.conf.local line :
Code:
ftpd_flags="-DllUSA"
I'll see if the same speed is gained with wpi0 (Acer Ftp server) ----> rum0 (iBook Ftp client) .. if it's the same then maybe remain : ftpproxy and pf.conf to suspect .
Old 3rd August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
a fresh OpenBSD install on both machines (Acer Aspire & iBook ) .. wired connection .. result was : very fast FTP serving .
So simplication worked.

Perhaps now you can see where you can use this technique in the future to solve other problems.
Old 3rd August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Here is my network diagram :

Network ----> Router (192.168.1.1 )
------> Acer aspire [bce0] (192.168.1.2 netmask 255.25.255.0) as FTP server

------> iBook [gem0] (192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0) as FTP client
I freely recognize that vBulletin reformats text, & this makes creating diagrams challenging. However, showing how all devices interconnect only takes patience & repeatedly pressing "Preview Post" using a [code] block. Your diagram can be vastly improved as follows:
Code:
router (192.168.1.1/24) ------ (bce0) Acer Aspire
    |                      192.168.1.2/24
    |
  (gem0) iBook
192.168.1.3/24
Here, it is more clear that packets travel from your iBook's gem0 interface to your Acer's bce0 interface through some consumer router device.
  • Don't use arrowheads since communication should be bi-directional (full-duplex).
  • If you are unfamiliar with CIDR notation (ie. 192.168.1.2/24), it simplifies how to specify the network mask. Numerous explanations can be found throughout the Internet. eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cidr

Last edited by ocicat; 4th August 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: add clarity
Old 4th August 2012
bsdstudent

Yes ocicat , reducing things to basic is useful , however I'm still uncertain about what caused that 'Waiting for Godot' ;-)
& thank you so much for your helpful hints !!!
Old 4th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
I'm still uncertain about what caused that 'Waiting for Godot' ;-)
You are missing the point.

Now that you have a configuration which exhibits behavior which appears acceptable, add new variables (wireless, etc.) one at a time testing after each addition.

If you add everything all at once as it was before, you will have little to no idea as to what is the root cause of your previous performance issue(s). If you are patient enough to iteratively add a single variable back into your network followed by testing, you will possibly discover:
  • what variable may be the root cause.
  • If after having added everything back, the original problem is not seen again, this points out that your original OS configurations were bad.
At this point, finding the root cause is your responsibility.