DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2018
Port Guard

Default firefox quantum leaks buildId

Openbsd 6.3 features Firefox 59.0.2 in lieu of 56 (or 55, can't remember). This new Firefox version ignores the general.buildId.override value in about:config. It leaks the actual buildId: the exact build date and time, down to precise seconds.

I tested this behavior at https://browserleaks.com/javascript

Mozilla will not let me register for an account at this time, so I wanted to let the community know.

I intend to file a bug report with OpenBSD, although I don't think there's much the developers can do.

In the meantime, firefox-esr is available, but many useful applications, including uMatrix, are not available on pre-quantum versions. This is not only annoying, but insecure as well.