DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2015
Shell Scout

Default Printing woes (cups, apsfilter)

After installing a snapshot on 22 Sept my printer stopped working This is a networked Brother HL5250DN using CUPS on amd64. The error log said "filter failed".

I installed a new snapshot + packages today (25 Sept). Still no result. I deleted CUPS and tried to reinstall it, but there were lots of library errors followed by failure, so no CUPS at all now.

I therefore installed apsfilter in the hope of going the old-fashioned way (which I like better than CUPS anyway). But here I encountered the problem that the lpd daemon is not running. I put the line lpd_flags="" in /etc/rc.conf..local but at boot there is a message that lpd failed to start. The same thing happens when I try to start it manually with /etc/rc.d/lpd start.

Can anyone offer a solution here, apart from waiting until CUPS becomes reinstallable? Any way to get the lpd daemon to start?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2015
More noise than signal

By syslog.conf(5) default, lpd(8) logs to /var/log/lpd-errs, or to some other file you direct via /etc/printcap.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2015
Shell Scout

That seems to be where lpr-debug puts its errors. But I'm not at that stage. I can't get lpd daemon to run at all, either manually or at boot. Is this a bug?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2015
Shell Scout

Sorry to follow up to myself, but I think the problem must have been something getting corrupted during the upgrade. I ran the -current upgrade again (and told it to check all the slices, for good measure) and now lpd is running correctly.

Now to get the printer working ...