DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2018
Fdisk Soldier

Default 6.3 Release kernel panic

So I installed 6.3 onto my rather old desktop PC, which had previously been running Linux. It had been running for a few days in text mode (i.e no X), and I'd been happily installing bits and pieces and various personal shell scripts, etc. Everything was running smoothly.

Then I decided to install the MATE desktop. A few minutes after running X, the system locked up, keyboard, mouse unresponsive. Unable to login via ssh, the only option was to physically turn the machine off using the power button.

When it had rebooted, and the various fsck processes had finished, and without loading X, the kernel paniced and I was left with the screen below (see attachment). Again, I had no option but to use the power button to switch the machine off.

I'm using an nvidia geforce 9800GT, which is ten years old. I noticed when the MATE desktop was being displayed, it looked a little "glitchy" - there were a couple of red lines, barely visible, at the top of the screen. I'm thinking maybe the video card is on it's way out. I'm aware nvidia are not the best choice for use in OpenBSD (and so I've just ordered a new Radeon card to replace it). Hopefully that will cure the problem. I've never seen a kernel panic in OpenBSD before, it came as quite a surprise

Any comment, advice, much appreciated. TIA.
Attached Images
File Type: png 20180803_211840.png (569.2 KB, 101 views)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2018
parrot

I can't say much based on the screen shot, I think if you can boot using single user mode:
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html
Quote:
Boot into single user mode. This part of the process varies depending on your platform. For amd64 and i386, the second stage boot loader pauses for a few seconds to give you a chance to provide parameters to the kernel. Here you can see we pass the -s flag to boot(8):
Code:
        probing: pc0 com0 com1 mem[638K 1918M a20=on]
        disk: hd0+ hd1+
        >> OpenBSD/amd64 BOOT 3.33
        boot> boot -s
Then post a copy of the 'dmesg' output here.

This thread : http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=7196
there is some more information on that, and some other "trouble shooting" commands.
IE: 'man crash'

If you need more details on " how to capture /print the dmesg output to a file or usb device, " so that is can be copy/pasted here, let us know.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2018
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks for your replies. Garry, I'll try some of your suggestions when I get my new radeon card. I'm done with nvidia on OpenBSD.

Prevet, the card I bought is an Asus Radeon HD5450 with 1Gb memory. I bought it quite cheaply on uk ebay. The card is a silent type, i.e. doesn't have a fan (quite fortunate considering your comments about fan-control.)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2018
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
I got a HD6970 because the 6000 series was the highest supported, but there's no fan control on OpenBSD, so it sets itself to 100% and sounds like a jet engine from then on. I ended up buying a Radeon HD6450 with 2GB of memory and passive cooling (I found it on UK ebay), so there would be no fan to worry about and it works okay. Just remember to change the aperture or you will get a black screen on boot
I'm running an AMD A6-5400K APU w/ HD 7540D Graphics. I'm very pleased with it.

http://daemonforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=96

Last edited by shep; 6th August 2018 at 01:03 AM. Reason: A5 -> A6
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2018
parrot

I was going to suggest the same, about using a WindowManager, instead of the Mate Desktop.
Even back when I was using Linux , and I had been using the "Mate" desktop, I liked it but started having problems, IE:
Quote:
it looked a little "glitchy"
, and slow, sometimes I did get lockups, similar to what you describe,... so I switched to a WM, I tried various, all worked much better the the desktop environment, I ended up mostly using OpnenBox, but also like FVWM, very much. Just recently started trying CWM, ...it is ok as well, but takes some "getting used to",...
I tried installing "mate-desktop" on a VM I have, but could not get it to work at all, but the VM only has 600 m ram (memory), and at this time, I still can not change that. To be honest, I am scared to try putting the DE on my main system , I suspect it could crash the system, and don't think it would run very well any way. Not saying it is a "bad" DE, just saying my hardware would not be able to handle it.
Once I got accustomed to a window manager, I don't miss the traditional Desktop Environments at all, this includes XFCE,Gnome, Mate, KDE,... etc... they all are rather bloated and maybe that is ok on more modern hardware , with 10 + GB ram,.... but I don't have that kind of hardware.
Any way, that gets into why I asked to see what your "dmesg" output is, so we have a better idea about the hardware, etc.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th August 2018
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
Just remember to change the aperture or you will get a black screen on boot
I'm almost certain this hasn't been necessary for quite a few years now:

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&;m=139245772023497&w=2

Would be insteresting to see the X.org logs, to see what driver is loaded, etc.

But regardless, as you have discovered, Nvidia on OpenBSD isn't really an option. As I recall the vesa(4) driver is loaded for Nvidia hardware, thus no direct rendering, etc.

Last edited by blackhole; 6th August 2018 at 08:01 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th August 2018
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
Once I got accustomed to a window manager, I don't miss the traditional Desktop Environments at all, this includes XFCE,Gnome, Mate, KDE,... etc... they all are rather bloated and maybe that is ok on more modern hardware , with 10 + GB ram,.... but I don't have that kind of hardware.
Any way, that gets into why I asked to see what your "dmesg" output is, so we have a better idea about the hardware, etc.
Sure. After much fiddling about with the BIOS settings, I've managed to achieve some measure of stability, after the system had crashed a couple more times. The reason given at the top of the panic messages was the same in every case:

Code:
acpicpu setperf failed to alter frequency
Doing a Google search of this was quite interesting. See in particular:

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=143464570209840&w=2

where a fix (relevant to ProLiant) was suggested. I've modified a couple of (similar) BIOS settings here, and so far so good

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 with 8 gigs of memory, and the video card is an nvidia geforce 9800GT, soon to be replaced by a Radeon HD5450. Please find the dmesg output attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dm.txt (8.9 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by ip6ix; 7th August 2018 at 02:57 AM.