DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Administrator

Default VIA Announces the VIA Nano X2 Dual Core CPU

Quote:
VIA Nano X2 processors are the first truly optimized, low power dual-core processors. Combining two 64-bit ‘Isaiah’ cores in one die, VIA Nano X2 processors deliver industry leading performance-per-watt and improved multi-tasking ability, without consuming more power.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/nanoX2/

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Something like a Nano L2200 has a 17W TDP, the lowest they offer is the U2300 which is rated at 5W TDP.

These are *single* cores.

My Atom 330 (dual core) has a TDP of 8W ... The newer D525 sits at 13W but that includes integrated graphics.

The Via Nano does seem to be faster, but if you look at Performance/Watt ratio, then intel seems to be doing better ...

I'm not an Intel fan, and I would welcome any competition on the market, but as far as I can see the Intel Atom is doing better on most respects ...

The Nano may have an advantage in pricing and license conditions though.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Something like a Nano L2200 has a 17W TDP, the lowest they offer is the U2300 which is rated at 5W TDP.

These are *single* cores.
They still use older 65nm process, with 45nm thwy would probably fit in 12W/3.5W.

Quote:
My Atom 330 (dual core) has a TDP of 8W ...
But it now depends WHICH North Bridge You will use, with 945GC it would take 15W itself for it and another 6-7W for the South Bridge (Intel ICH7).

... while VIA North and South Bridge integrated in one chip can take 3.5-5W, depends on the model, including graphics.

Quote:
The newer D525 sits at 13W but that includes integrated graphics.
Yes, newer ones are better in that case, but they are slower and do not have hardware encruption accelration, for example, single core VIA Nano 1.6GB is faster then Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.0GHz in that case.

Quote:
The Via Nano does seem to be faster, but if you look at Performance/Watt ratio, then intel seems to be doing better ...
IMHO that is mostly due to 65nm process comparing to 45nm at Intel, but still its a problem.

Also, Intel Atom does 2 instructions per clock cycle, Nano does 3, Atom does NOT support out-of-order execution while Nano does, Atom has HTT but without OS scheduler doing circles to support it properly its shit generally that can at most do 15% benefit (rather rare case).

I liked the embedded Atmos through, the Zxxx series, especially with US15W chipset that includes PowerVR graphics (same as in iPhone for example), but that shit is not open and there are no drivers for it unfortunately ... good for NAS at most.

On the other side VIA also is not bery open of it comes to drivers ... which is big mistake IMHO in their business.

Here is PREVIEW performance of VIA Nano X2, but its engeenering part, its still 65nm CPU, so stay away from power consumption tests
http://www.anandtech.com/print/4017

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Intel is already moving to 32nm. Sandy Bridge will released next week.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Banned

This design actually looks closer to the PowerPC design. Tell the truth, the performance may be better.
Personally, I don't think the nm size matters if the design is still inefficient.
POWER/PowerPC CPUs will slow down with a large workload but will rarely choke out. Try the same with i386/amd64 and your system will lag or stop.

Then there's the memory part. Larger amount of RAM are not necessary if the CPU is more efficient.
Coming back. The design looks good. Maybe if the company moves closer to the older RISC designs and cuts out the bottlenecking i386/amd64 is known for, the architecture will be worth it again.

2.) I think of the nm argument similar to the car size argument.:
A smaller car may be better but nothing has really improved if the engine design remains the same.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
2.) I think of the nm argument similar to the car size argument.:
A smaller car may be better but nothing has really improved if the engine design remains the same.
If the car is smaller than that means there is less weight for the engine to haul around, and less air resistance to overcome, so it will save fuel even if the engine is the same.

Having smaller transistors and the transistors closer together means the electrons have to travel less distance and you will need fewer electrons.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2011
Arp Constable

But will electrons ever be as expensive as petrol? --> Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2011
Banned

Diesel is more efficient than normal gasoline. Wouldn't a small car with such an engine be more efficient ?

I do understand and am aware that there are differences in performance and flags for the x86 and all related chips. That which remains is, "Why is it still an industry standard?" This is referencing only to Desktops, laptops, and small servers.

The benchmarks don't do much for the Biscuit. What would be the performance for all chips in the benchmark tests under normal conditions- a user, running whatever operating system, stressing the CPU normally- with a heavy workload?
And what of the same for graphics processing? 800x600 is not a standard output.

Does anything about the chip impress me? Yes. The implementation of load-store.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Windows runs on x86. And *only* on x86 (Not counting ancient versions, or WinCE which is not really windows).

I think that's a big reason. Faster/better hardware is nice, but if your software won't run on it then it's just junk.

Back in the day x86 hardware was also a lot cheaper, making it available for home users, that did a lot for the popularity of the architecture.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Biscuit View Post
I do understand and am aware that there are differences in performance and flags for the x86 and all related chips. That which remains is, "Why is it still an industry standard?" This is referencing only to Desktops, laptops, and small servers.
Because of 'great' company named Microsoft ... and ther even more 'great' operating system Windows ... and people ignorance about that topic in general.

Old 6th January 2011
Tcpdump Spy

In a bit of recent news, Microsoft has announced an ARM version of Windows ...
Banned

I wonder if it is related to the Windows Mobile/Phone/CE system(s).

Financial loss is more likely the contributing factor. Portable devices such as the iPad have an ARM CPU, provide a full system environment, and are generally more easy to deal with. Since the move seems to be from home to mobile, MicroSoft is slowly losing ground. Contrasting this argument is the fact that Apple and Microsoft are involved together. I digress.

Let's see the performance of all three major competitors in that market.