DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2009
Shell Scout

Default linux-compat questions.

Hi. Just solved my install issue and wanting to tinker with NetBSD I wanted to ask.
Is there any linux-compat source package that brings the 2.6.27 kernel?
And can linux-compat act as a sort of "ndiswrapper" (read: allows BSD to recognize my wifi card using the linux drivers included in the 2.6.27 kernel)?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2009
Arp Constable

Why do you want to bring a 2.6.27 Linux kernel to a NetBSD machine? Just use Linux.

Use ndiswrapper on linux, ndisgen on bsd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on ndiswrapper
Independently of but roughly simultaneously with the NDISwrapper project, Bill Paul of Wind River Systems developed a similar system, known as Project Evil or The NDISulator, for FreeBSD. It has since been ported to NetBSD, but not OpenBSD, due to the latter's anti-binary blob policy. The NDISulator lacks some of the functionality of NDISwrapper, such as USB support.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2009
Shell Scout

Well, The reason for my question was that my wifi card isn't supported under BSD and ndiswrapper can only run it with a win98 driver. Linux however can handle the card nativelly since kernel 2.6.27 in both x86 and x64. Given a gaming situation I'm in (in my "new" PC wine works better under NetBSD than under linux) I thought that perhaps I could make linux-base be used to interface the "drivers" built into the linux kernel with my wifi card (just like ndisgen is used to interface a windows driver with he wireless card). I know it might be a patchy solution, but I just needed to know if it can be done.

Last edited by fbsduser; 4th March 2009 at 05:06 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2009
Risen from the ashes

What you want to do (use Linux drivers on a BSD kernel) is not possible.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2009
Arp Constable

In order to use Linux networking drivers, you need to be running off a Linux kernel for better or worse. The Linux support is generally focused on getting applications to work correctly, not kernel stuffs.

ndisgen might be a bit of a hack, but it's as close as you're gonna get without a native driver :\

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2009
Shell Scout

Finally took the plunge and decided for a FreeBSD 7.0 x86. At least I can now use the crappy win98 drivers to get wireless going.
And BTW (about TerryP's comment): I DO use linux, have Ubuntu and NetBSD in dualboot. What happens is that wine runs better in BSD and since I want wine for my gaming, I wanted to also get wireless going (for internet multiplayer).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th March 2009
Arp Constable

In my experience there is only one decent solution for online gaming: Windows NT 5.1 / XP Professional.

#8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
In my experience there is only one decent solution for online gaming: Windows NT 5.1 / XP Professional.
No, thanks. I got out of the grip of Umbrel.. errr, Microsoft long ago.