DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2012
Administrator

Default the extra stuff in -current snapshots

Given the increasing popularity of running -current snapshots (most likely motivated in part by Firefox's frequent version updates...) by the entire community, the following thread on misc@ today caught my eye as giving a bit of perspective as what actually comprises snapshots:

http://marc.info/?t=134015093800001&r=1&w=2

For those who read this thread, the latter comments especially that made by Theo will be of interest to all snapshot consumers.

In a nutshell, it has been known for quite some time that some snapshots may contain additional code which has not been committed to the project's CVS repository. This is done so newly developed code can be made accessible to larger audiences for testing. Not all snapshots have additional code integrated, & two successive snapshots may contain completely different additions, or none at all. Theo coordinates these changes (as indicated by the thread...), & information on their availability is communicated in the project-only developer mailing lists. The general community does not have access to this information.

So for those that live by snapshots, note the thread's warning about when snapshots might be the least stable. And of course, reading misc@ for information on current development trends, issues, & commentary provides perspective. Seasoned snapshot users should be reading misc@ on a frequent basis anyways.

Finally, for those that don't want to run uncommitted code, but still want to run -current (hopefully) for tangible reasoned reasons, read Section 5 of the FAQ paying attention to the table provided in Section 5.3.2. If one wants support on self-built copies of -current, the procedure specified in the FAQ along with additional information found in the release(8) manpage is the only supported method for doing it yourself.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2012
bsdstudent

Thank you so much, ocicat !

Last edited by daemonfowl; 20th June 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: off topic .. a shameless thread-hijack.Epimethean horse killed :-)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
Another question: now that I upgraded to the last snapshots, how can I be "a good snapshot tester" practically ? what further steps should I make ?
While your "another question" is on snapshots, the original thread was on uncommitted code in snapshots, not how to test snapshots. daemonfowl, once again you are hijacking discussion. A new thread should have been started.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
There was a time when I wanted to inquire about when to avoid upgrading and
upon which basis & what I would consider before deciding to upgrade.
daemonfowl, now you are asking about upgrading. The original topic in this thread is uncommitted code found in snapshots. If you want to discuss upgrading, start a new thread. Yet again, you are hijacking the discussion topic.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2012
bsdstudent

Mamma mia ! sorry sorry! no thread-hijacking meant . just there are topical nuances I failed to observe.well it's a BSD-Culture I'm learning, concision , precision, tidiness in design, tidiness everywhere.. high time to kill my epimethean impulsivity.