DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other OS

Other OS Any other OS such as Microsoft Windows, BeOS, Plan9, Syllable, and whatnot.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Default W2K DHCP Issue

I have an issue with DHCP on the W2K Professional part of my development box. It currently has a great deal of difficulty getting addresses, and consequently using the Internet is pretty inconvenient. I don't think it is the network or the DHCP server, since both FreeBSD and the Window 7 RC work just fine (it triple-boots). Otherwise the computer works as it should.

I'm not much of a Windows user, so I've no idea how to diagnose this. The various network settings are correct, and have not changed. I use a hard address at the router, and this has not changed. It would seem that either I picked up a bad sector or there is some software cause, like a registry error. One day it just did not work as it did before.

Multiple virus scans using the on-line version of Trend and Norton come up clean, as does an Adaware scan (though this is not an adware issue).

I can rebuild and pull things off a backup, but I'd rather fix this if I can.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2009
Tcpdump Spy

You can try checking the logs (Right click `My Computer' -> Manage -> Event Viewer), sometimes there is something useful there (But I must admit not often).

Also try playing with your drivers, upgrade to the latest version if you haven't already, if the latest version doesn't work, try older versions, sometimes the latest version is broken (Yes, I know).

You can also try removing a device (Right click in device manger -> Uninstall), rebooting, and reinstalling ... Sometimes this helps ...

Quote:
It currently has a great deal of difficulty getting addresses, and consequently using the Internet is pretty inconvenient.
You can't get an IP address at all? Or only sometimes?
When it does get an IP address, does the network function properly?
Did you try using a static IP address?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2009
ISO Quartermaster

It gets an address sometimes, connects for a while, and then loses its connection. That repeats. I have it set up to do DHCP with a static address assigned at the router (the DHCP server). That worked before.

The point is that it has worked this way for many years. Then one day it started doing this in W2K, but not anything else. So, to me, it seems that either the information changed on the disk (bad sector) or something on the disk changed (registry? corrupted file? dunno).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Wireshark runs on Windows ... You can try to run that and see if anything odd creeps up ...
Other than that and the above hints, these problems are usually very difficult to diagnose&fix...
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2009
ISO Quartermaster

I don't know wireshark, but will find out and try it. Thanks!

BTW, the logs don't note anything of interest, at least not as far as I can tell. One more skilled with Windows might beg to differ, but all I see are indications of time-outs. I knew that.