DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th November 2016
Arp Constable

Default PPPoE and MTU settings

My ISP provided ADSL modem died after a short service life and rather than purchase/rent another one, I bought a Netis Dl4201 that is soon to arrive.

I believe I have most of the config settings but am confused on the MTU.

My ISP uses PPPoE which I read will not handle packets > 1492. On the FreeBSD forums, I found this advice:
Quote:
There can be any number of reasons resulting in poor download speed. Unless the experts chime in an say there is a known issue with FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE I'm gonna say I doubt its the OS.

I am curious if this is an MTU issue. Can you verify what your ISP/DSL MTU is, and then verify what the MTU of your computer? On my machines its 1500 and I know 1500 matches my service provider service. Your computer MTU should be equal or less than the smallest MTU between yourself and your ISP. Thus check your router too. If you send packet sizes larger than MTU they will get fragmented down, and that causes a performance hit.
My OpenBSD NIC cards have default MTU's of 1500 as does my Linksys wrt54G router. At this time, I am going to set the Netis ADSL modem, which has a single port router (bridge/vpn capability), MTU to 1492. Should I do the same to all my devices on the LAN side?

I am also confused on the need for the bridge. My understanding is that bridge mode will just pass all packets to the Linksys router. My ISP's website instructions for configuring your own modem say nothing about MTU or bridge mode.

Last edited by shep; 8th November 2016 at 04:20 PM.