DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Old 11th February 2015
Spam Deminer

Thanks again
I check freebsd and dragonflybsd ,freebsd work great ,but dragonflybsd detect HDD and install on it .but after first boot it can not boot and see error about ums1
Old 11th February 2015
More noise than signal

ums(4) in DragonflyBSD is the USB mouse driver. Google "ums" and "dragonflybsd" and you can discover this, too.
Old 11th February 2015
Shell Scout

As I saw you have a cdrom drive, you could download the livecd image made by Fugulta (an OpenBSD live CD), burn it and boot from it. This way you might be able to test your hardware and send the dmesg output:
http://fuguita.org/index.php?FuguIta
Here is the direct link of the iso file:
http://fuguita.org/dl/FuguIta-5.6-201412121.iso.gz

Another possibility is to install OpenBSD from another computer (if you have one) to the external drive you intend to use. Once the installation is over you can plug back your disk in the computer having problems and see how it goes.
Old 12th February 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I may have misled you.
Yes, I did. Every program in /usr/bin on the RAMDISK is located within the same file, hard linked with the various program names. This is done via crunchgen(8). And, to save additional resources, the ftp(1) program is built using SMALL. From its Makefile:
Code:
# Define SMALL to disable command line editing and https support
#CFLAGS+=-DSMALL

Last edited by jggimi; 12th February 2015 at 01:15 AM. Reason: typo, clarity
Old 12th February 2015
Spam Deminer

I think it is better developer of OpenBSD put some utility like mail or something's else for situation like this
I will try OpenBSD live CD , but I want installation
Old 12th February 2015
More noise than signal

You have ATA buses which you are not using.

A developer faced with your situation would either attach a drive, or use a flash drive, if one worked, or would obtain nc(1) and it's libraries and ld.so support file using ftp, in order to move data outward.
Old 12th February 2015
More noise than signal

There are more options, such as running a diskless(8) system, or building a custom RAMDISK system. But to add an application to that system, other software must be removed.
Old 13th February 2015
Spam Deminer

I check current and it can not detect my HDD ,l also check netbsd and this OS work good with my hdd
Old 14th February 2015
More noise than signal

OK. You have confirmed that you cannot use your USB hard drive with OpenBSD, whether -release or -current. I'd missed your comment in post #13 that inserting a USB flash drive causes a reboot. With that additional knowledge, we now know that the problem is related to your USB subsystem, and not your USB hard drive. But it was suspected, because your mouse detaches.

In my view, these are your primary options. I've color coded them, based on my assessment of your posts on this forum. You will have a different view of your own skills or interests, of course.

Green. I believe you are capable of this option.
Blue. I believe this option is possible for you, but would require new skills and additional effort: engaging directly with developers and applying any recommended patches you receive.
Red. I believe this option is beyond your current skills.
  • Use another OS. You have already learned that other BSDs work, and you could choose one of them instead of OpenBSD.
  • Replace hardware. For reasons not yet determined, OpenBSD does not correctly operate USB on this mainboard. Swap this component or the system for another.
  • Install onto the drive from a different system. This is unlikely to solve your problem. But if you successfully install onto the drive on another system, and boot it on this "broken" system, you would have isolated the problem to the RAMDISK. And successfully circumvented the USB problem. Improbable, but not impossible.
  • Install on an internal hard drive. This would provide you with a full OS, with a (likely) nonfunctional USB subsystem. This is not the USB-based system you want, but it would allow you to engage with the Project to debug the USB subsystem.
  • Use a serial console. The addition of a null modem cable and a second workstation to operate it would allow you to engage directly with Project developers for support of this inoperative system.
  • Configure a diskless(8) system. OpenBSD can be booted from a network and operate without any disks at all. As with the hard drive option above, this would permit you to engage with Project developers to debug the USB subsystem.
I'm sure there are other options as well.

Last edited by jggimi; 14th February 2015 at 04:25 AM. Reason: typo, order of options, and clarity