DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
Shell Scout

Question 5.7 message I keep seeing

Hi,

Upgraded to 5.7 last night and I keep seeing a message like the following:

Code:
(process:28825): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'gchar' **
GLib-GObject:ERROR:gvaluetypes.c455:_g_value_types_init: assertion failed: (type == G_TYPE_CHAR)
Abort trap (core dumped)
Any wisdom from the kind folks here?

Thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
More noise than signal

No wisdom, only a thought that you have a mismatch in libraries. Did you update your packages as well as the OS? If not, do so (e.g # pkg_add -u). If you did, perhaps there was an error updating your glib or glib2 package, or an update got missed. You can check to see which glibs are installed with $ pkg_info | grep glib.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
dat guy

I got this message while updating packages after the 5.7 upgrade. Let's see.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
Shell Scout

I did do a pkg_add -u to upgrade all of my packages after the install. Checking to see which version of glib I have, it looks pretty sane:

glib2-2.42.1p0
glib2-networking-2.42.1
glib2mm-2.42.0p0

Any further thoughts? How about you @jkl - are you still running into this as well?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
Arp Constable

I wonder about the rationale of upgrading releases.

Data backups are prudently recommended and from a bandwidth and time standpoint you pretty much end up downloading the entire system anyway.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
More noise than signal

Those are, indeed, 5.7-release versions. Do you also have devel/glib installed? That would be glib-1.2.10p5.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
More noise than signal

Hmmm.. A quick Google with "gchar" and "openbsd" as keywords found this. It appears that libgobject is a likely root cause.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
Shell Scout

@jggimi

So here's what I tried. I found some libgobject files in /usr/local/lib. I created a "backup" subdirectory and moved them in there. When I rebooted, GDM failed to start so it looks like my gnome3 stuff is linked to that while everything else is linking to the one in /usr/lib. Not sure if that is helpful information or not.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I wonder about the rationale of upgrading releases.

Data backups are prudently recommended and from a bandwidth and time standpoint you pretty much end up downloading the entire system anyway.
@shep - would you recommend just backup up the necessary data and wiping / installing from scratch?

Thanks!
Old 1st May 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceverly View Post
...linking to the one in /usr/lib....
I'm sure you mean /usr/local/lib.

Rather than moving files... return them where found. Then check to see which package owns them, using the -E option of pkg_info(1). It may be a ".lib" package -- an old library remaining due to being a dependency of another package (such as gdm). Or, it may be an up-to-date library. Either way, you can then use pkg_info to find out which packages are dependent upon the library. Check to make sure those further up the dependency chain are up-to-date. You can use the -u or the -r options of pkg_add(1) with the package name to update it, if it is out-of-date.

If any of the files you test with -E is "unowned" by any package, then you have a package database problem of some kind. The pkg_check(8) program can be used to initiate repairs.
Old 1st May 2015
Shell Scout

@jggimi

So I checked in /usr/local/lib and I have two shared libraries:

libgobject-2.0.so.4000.0
libgobject-2.0.so.4200.0

pkg_info -E returns nothing for the 4000 version and pkg_info -E returns glib2-2.24.1p0 for the 4200 version.

I tried a little experiment and moved the 4000 one out, rebooted, rebuilt one of my ports from a fresh source tree and it still tried to link against the 4000 version. Any clue what's up with that?
Old 1st May 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
...Any clue what's up with that?
None, with the information in the thread (and no glib knowledge, here). You could capture a log of the port build with portslogger(1) and perhaps find out why it's trying to use the older library. If need be, that log could be used in a discussion with Antoine (ajacoutot@), the devel/glib2 port maintainer.

As noted above, there is a disconnect between what's in /usr/local and what's in your package database (/var/db/pkg). You could run pkg_check(8) as recommended earlier. I don't know if it would repair this particular issue, because I'm uncertain as to root cause.

Last edited by jggimi; 1st May 2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typos
Old 1st May 2015
Arp Constable

Quote:
@shep - would you recommend just backup up the necessary data and wiping / installing from scratch?

Thanks!
That is what I did and I have 5.7 with Patches and M:tier updates running smoothly now. There were some minor typos in some of the patches.

If you have not done so, I would even consider making a back up of your critical data now. That way you would be covered in the event you cannot repair your present system.

For my small home office, I typically make tar.gz archives that will fit on a single layer DVD twice a year. In the interim, I also mirror my files onto my laptop and an OpenBSD current machine using Midnight Commander via a secure shell.

Last edited by shep; 1st May 2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 1st May 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
None, with the information in the thread (and no glib knowledge, here). You could capture a log of the port build with portslogger(1) and perhaps find out why it's trying to use the older library. If need be, that log could be used in a discussion with Antoine (ajacoutot@), the devel/glib2 port maintainer.

As noted above, there is a disconnect between what's in /usr/local and what's in your package database (/var/db/pkg). You could run pkg_check(8) as recommended earlier. I don't know if it would repair this particular issue, because I'm uncertain as to root cause.
Sorry. I did run the pkg_check and it found no issues. I'm thinking that I'll probably just back up my home directory and some config files and do a fresh install.

Thanks for your help again by the way. I really appreciate how folks in the OpenBSD community go out of their way to help each other. It's pretty awesome.
Old 1st May 2015
More noise than signal

A fresh install will likely solve the problem.

(Unlike shep, I upgrade. But both processes can work.)
Old 1st May 2015
Arp Constable

Quote:
@jggimi

So here's what I tried. I found some libgobject files in /usr/local/lib. I created a "backup" subdirectory and moved them in there. When I rebooted, GDM failed to start so it looks like my gnome3 stuff is linked to that while everything else is linking to the one in /usr/lib. Not sure if that is helpful information or not.
I think the odds of a successful upgrade are inversely proportional to the complexity of your pre-upgrade system. My guess is that @jggimi is running a lightweight window manager. Of the Desktop environments, Xfce stayed at version 4.10 while Gnome3 and KDE4 had larger version upgrades.
Old 1st May 2015
More noise than signal

If I recall correctly, my first upgrade of a workstation was 3.4 -> 3.5. At the time, I was a KDE user, then later moved to XFCE. It's true that these days I'm running a much lighter window manager on my day-to-day workstation -- i3 -- but even so I have glib, glib2, glib2-networking, json-glib, and py-gobject installed. I've never seen this particular problem.

The number of primary workstation upgrades I have done since 3.5, at rough estimate, is 300. 3.5 was released eleven years ago today, and I upgrade -current approximately every two weeks.

And I've run multiple workstations. So let's say 400 upgrades in total for systems that run X servers.

I also have done hundreds of server upgrades over the years, too, which often include X libraries and sometimes even X client applications. These days, my servers are running -stable rather than -current, so their upgrade cadence has vastly reduced.

Yes, I have cleaned out old cruft from /usr/lib, from time to time.

Last edited by jggimi; 1st May 2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typos, clarity
Old 1st May 2015
New User

I had the same error - it first started showing up during pkg_add -u, and things went downhill from there.

I tried a fresh 5.7 install in a VM and verified that things looked ok that way, but before I did something so drastic as a reinstall I deleted all my packages and re-added them, and everything seems fine now (except for xfce4-screenshooter, which has a different issue, but gnome-screenshot works ok).

I'm running MWM as my window manager; the main heavyweight apps I have installed are emacs and libreoffice, though emacs is likely to go away soon in favor of a new editor I'm writing.

Last edited by kmike; 1st May 2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 2nd May 2015
Shell Scout

Back up. I did a fresh install and everything (including Gnome3) is just fine.

Thanks to everyone who helped me try to figure this out.