DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2014
Package Pilot

Default OpenBSD laptop hardware verification

I used inxi to get hw info about my laptop. Below is the output. I am removing some networking information for obvious reasons.
Code:
System:    Host: jerry-je-S3-391 Kernel: 3.13.0-39-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire S3-391 version: V2.14
           Mobo: Acer model: Hummingbird2 version: V2.14 Bios: Insyde version: V2.14 date: 02/05/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2367M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5587.5 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-39-generic
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0

Drives:    HDD Total Size: 340.1GB (9.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54323 size: 320.1GB temp: 35C 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: SATA_SSD size: 20.0GB temp: 0C 
Partition: ID: / size: 290G used: 31G (12%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 236M used: 45M (21%) fs: ext2 
           ID: swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: 50.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 238 Uptime: 4:25 Memory: 1284.5/3770.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17
Before I start my research, does anyone see anything critical hardware missing from this list? How do I know if ACPI will work with this setup? I could not find much on ACPI in the official faq that would confirm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2014
More noise than signal

This won't help very much. Hardware manufacturers -- of motherboards, or of underlying devices all frequently change underlying chipsets without changing model numbers. And the only thing that matters for driver support is the chipset.

The best test available is the system itself.

If the platform will boot from USB mass storage devices, it only takes a few minutes to create a bootable USB stick. This can be done on the hardware itself, other hardware of the same architecture (amd64, macppc, i386, sparc64, etc.) or from a virtual machine.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemLive
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2014
Arp Constable

Quote:
Before I start my research, does anyone see anything critical hardware missing from this list?
My sense is that the most common laptop issues are the wireless card, the video adapter and acpi tables. From your list, the Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 could be an issue. As of June, 2014, it was specifically not supported. A quick search of the mailing list for Atheros did not find any recent updates
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2014
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
This won't help very much. Hardware manufacturers -- of motherboards, or of underlying devices all frequently change underlying chipsets without changing model numbers. And the only thing that matters for driver support is the chipset.

The best test available is the system itself.

If the platform will boot from USB mass storage devices, it only takes a few minutes to create a bootable USB stick. This can be done on the hardware itself, other hardware of the same architecture (amd64, macppc, i386, sparc64, etc.) or from a virtual machine.
I am aware of testing hardware with a live openbsd usb installation, I understand what you are saying here, and I appreciate it.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2016
Package Pilot

Default Testing Laptop hardware with OpenBSD 5.8 install on USB key

Installed OpenBSD 5.8 on a usb flash drive for testing of hardware, and apparently there are some issues with video and wireless firmware installation.

I received the message below in the mailbox.

Code:

installing: iwm-firmware uvideo-firmware
error from http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/5.8/
ftp: firmware.openbsd.org: no address associated with name
http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/5.8 is empty

can't find iwm-firmware
can't find uvideo-firmware
I downloaded the iwm-firmware and uvideo-firmware packages from firmware.openbsd.org (for 5.8 release) to my fedora laptop.

the firmware for wireless driver is iwm-3160-9 and is included in the iwm-firmware package.

A section of man iwm(4).

FILES
The driver needs one of the following firmware files, which are loaded when an interface is brought up:

/etc/firmware/iwm-3160-9
/etc/firmware/iwm-7260-9
/etc/firmware/iwm-7265-9

These firmware files are not free because Intel refuses to grant distribution rights without contractual obligations. As a result, even though OpenBSD includes the driver, the firmware files cannot be included and users have to download these files on their own.
A prepackaged version of the firmware can be installed using fw_update(1).

How do I place the firmware in the above directory? My fedora installation won't read the usb key where I installed OpenBSD.

the uvideo-firmware package contains 12 different firmwares. I am not sure which one to install or how to do it.

my laptop processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz

according to intel's website, it appears that the video adapter is integrated with the processor?

under graphics specifications (on intel's website) for my processor, it lists Intel® HD Graphics 4400.

Any help would be appreciated.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2016
More noise than signal

Wired Ethernet is one way to obtain firmware files. But if you don't have this, you can use your Linux system, and a second USB stick. Format it as a single FAT filesystem (MS-DOS), as both operating systems can mount these.

The following "how to" is from memory, without testing anything. Please review the appropriate man pages just in case I've made a mistake. tail(1), mount(8), umount(8), and fw_update(1).
  1. Mount the second (FAT) stick on Linux, and copy the firmware tarballs to the stick.
  2. Boot OpenBSD.
  3. Insert the FAT stick, noting which sd device number is assigned to the stick from kernel messages (or from $ tail /var/log/messages)
  4. Mount the FAT filesystem. Assuming the stick is sd3, the FAT filesystem will be sd3i. # mount /dev/sd3i /mnt
  5. Install the firmware with fw_update(8). Assume the firmware is in the root directory of the FAT filesystem, the command would be # fw_update -p /mnt.
  6. Unmount the FAT stick. # umount /mnt
  7. Celebrate! It's been 15 months since this process started.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2016
Package Pilot

That worked perfectly. The wireless and video firmwares were installed.

I have been involved with other things, but I am going to dedicate time to learning now. I kept all my old notes.

thanks again.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstorm View Post
That worked perfectly. The wireless and video firmwares were installed.
Yay!
Quote:
I have been involved with other things...
Of course. I was just surprised by the length of time between posts in the thread.