DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
Port Guard

Angry how to install nano in openbsd 5.6

I think the two images attached are enough to explain the issue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-30 18.09.12.jpg (842.4 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-12-30 18.07.47.jpg (511.4 KB, 351 views)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
Tcpdump Spy

Does this machine have internet access? Your first screenshot says:
"No acceptable DHCPOFFERS received"

So it looks like it has no internet access.

Do you have a device working as a DHCP server? Is the network cable connected? What does the ifconfig -a command say?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
More noise than signal

At least now, we know that Crypto333 is using 5.6-release on the i386 architecture.

The NIC re0 uses the re(4) driver - as the NIC has one if its matching Realtek chipsets. At this time, all we know is that there is no responding DHCP server connected to this particular NIC. This could be because the network has no DHCP server, or, it could be because the network is not physically connected (or connected properly). An Ethernet cable could be connected to a different NIC, for example.

The output of ifconfig(8), as Carpetsmoker recommends, will at least tell us whether there is a working Ethernet connected to this particular NIC.

No network connection = no installation of packages from the network, or anything else from the network. This is why nano cannot be installed.

Last edited by jggimi; 30th December 2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo, clarity
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
Port Guard

I need to type those two commands : re(4) and ifconfig(8) and post the results here?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto333 View Post
I need to type those two commands : re(4) and ifconfig(8) and post the results here?
Please provide the complete output of the following command:

$ ifconfig

re(4) is simply an Ethernet driver. You can find out more about it by looking at its manpage:

$ man 4 re

In the above examples of two commands, "$" is simple the shell prompt. Neither command requires root access, nor does the "$" need to be explicitly typed by the user.

Last edited by ocicat; 30th December 2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: explain "$"...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
Port Guard

here's the full outcome of ifconfig command in addition to a panic the happened out of nothing I know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-30 19.50.39.jpg (572.5 KB, 153 views)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
More noise than signal

The re0 driver reports status: active. This means that there is a valid Ethernet signal to the NIC. It does not mean that Ethernet frames are necessarily moving along the wire, only that the Ethernet is present.

Your system failed to receive a reply from a DHCP server on your local network. This is used for provisioning of TCP/IP addressing on your local network (typically IP address, netmask, routing gateway, and Domain Name System nameserver address).

There are two possible causes: a) eiither outgoing Ethernet frames were never broadcast on your local Ethernet, or b) replies from your local DHCP server were never received. We cannot tell you which, with the information you have provided.

But your panic of a freshly installed -release system tends to indicate a possible hardware problem, and RAM errors could manifest in this way -- with panics. A hardware problem with a NIC could also cause both missing frames and ... panics.

Your specific panic has been previously reported, and I have seen several different causes mentioned -- causes based on traces from ddb. Note that message from the kernel regarding what is needed to submit a problem report regarding kernel panics -- it mentions a "trace" command for a reason. Diagnosis is usually not possible without this.

(We here on this forum may not be able to assist with further diagnosis even if you did provide a trace, as most of us are just OpenBSD users, not kernel developers.)

Last edited by jggimi; 30th December 2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: clarity
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
More noise than signal

Adding: this is the second panic you have reported -- the first was reported in your other thread November 14. And it is a different failure. If this is the same computer, you may have a hardware problem. Differing failures are often indicative of hardware trouble.

Can this hardware run other OSes without trouble?

There are standalone memory testers (such as Memtest86+) which may be helpful in isolating problems in RAM, but they may not show problems with other components (such as NICs, power supplies, CPUs, motherboards...)
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2014
OpenBSD language porter

A few things to add:
1. You don't provide a dmesg; that'll be required when you submit a bug report.
2. If you have a 64-bit machine (the dmesg will let us know) consider using OpenBSD/amd64 instead of OpenBSD/i386. Especially if you have >4GB of RAM.
3. You spelled "packages" wrong (pckages) in your export PKG_PATH= line. Don't use the main site. Choose a mirror. And prefer http to ftp.
Old 30th December 2014
Port Guard

I will post the outcome of dmesg and indeed I am on 64 bit but I am willing to run openbsd on 32bit system too so I can't use 64bit version
the panic this time doesn't always happen like last time.
Old 30th December 2014
OpenBSD language porter

The panic not always happening is not necessarily a clean bill of health.
Things to try:
1. Ethernet cable plugged in?
2. Replace Ethernet cable.
3. What is your OpenBSD machine connected to? A router? Does it do DHCP?
4. If you know your subnet you could do a static IP. I'm going to guess this based on you likely having a consumer grade router:
Code:
# echo 'inet 192.168.1.201 netmask 255.255.255.0' > /etc/hostname.re0
You can then issue:
Code:
# sh /etc/netstart
to bring up the NIC with the new settings.
If that fails you can go back to the original setting by issuing:
Code:
# echo 'dhcp' > /etc/hostname.re0
Those are some basics.
Old 30th December 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
...the panic this time doesn't always happen like last time.
What changed?

Please try to provide more information in your posts. We don't have Palantíri. *

---
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palant%C3%ADr
Old 30th December 2014
Port Guard

I can't post the outcome of dmesg because I can't show all the results here
and about the panic I just mean that when I tried with openbsd 5.5 it happened eveytime during booting up but now it only happened three times and needless to say the sh /etc/netstart failed
Old 30th December 2014
Port Guard

I am beginning lose hope
Old 30th December 2014
Port Guard

I will try a 5.5 on a usb and see if things go fine
Old 30th December 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
I can't post the outcome of dmesg because I can't show all the results here
I don't know what this means?
Code:
$ dmesg | less
Take multiple pictures if you have to.

Quote:
and about the panic I just mean that when I tried with openbsd 5.5 it happened eveytime during booting up but now it only happened three times
Sounds like you've got a real quality bug or you have hardware failure. Impossible to tell which.

Quote:
and needless to say the sh /etc/netstart failed
What about it failed? I know this place isn't the OpenBSD mailing lists. But you've got to give us some information. "It failed" is not information.

Quote:
I am beginning lose hope
Hope is a mindset.
Old 30th December 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
I will try a 5.5 on a usb and see if things go fine
Can you try -current please?
http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/
Old 30th December 2014
Administrator

Quote:
I am beginning lose hope
A sobering responsibility inherited when moving to the Open Source world is that all support nits ultimately fall onto you. There aren't always quick answers, lots of research may be required, & even more patience is necessitated.

It's a real-world learning experience.

If you find this to be a challenge & an interesting set of problems to solve, it can be a fun journey. If you are looking for quick answers, you may need to reset your expectations.

Only you can decide where you fit on this spectrum.

Two immediate questions which have not been answered in this thread (but set forth) are:
  • Do you have another Ethernet card which can be installed into the system? Maybe the re(4) card currently installed is flaky, or maybe not. No conclusive answers can be made given the information supplied thus far.
  • What happens with another operating system? A snapshot of -current?
Old 30th December 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
  • Do you have another Ethernet card which can be installed into the system? Maybe the re(4) card currently installed is flaky, or maybe not. No conclusive answers can be made given the information supplied thus far.
When installing another NIC, if the re(4) NIC is an on-motherboard deal you need to disable it in your BIOS so the watchdog doesn't keep going off.
Old 30th December 2014
More noise than signal

Are you able to successfully boot a different operating system on this computer, and use its wired Ethernet connection?

I ask because one of your photographs showed an Atheros device, which I assume is a WiFi NIC, and perhaps you used this computer with WiFi only, rather than with wired Ethernet.

One of your photographs showed the Realtek NIC driver did not respond to a kernel request -- there was a "watchdog timeout". That indicates a hardware problem -- either the NIC, or its physical layer (cabling).

Tags
5.6, is empty, nano, not found