DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd February 2015
Open Source Software user

Post running OpenBSD from live CD's

I noticed jggimi used to make flavours/distros available a while ago, so is obviously a very experienced user.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd February 2015
More noise than signal

I produced live media for several years. Usefulness declined and I stopped at 5.0.

I have since been considering various ways to add value to USB-stick "live" systems, and that effort has been on hiatus.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th March 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I produced live media for several years. Usefulness declined and I stopped at 5.0.

I have since been considering various ways to add value to USB-stick "live" systems, and that effort has been on hiatus.
I've been thinking about that too.

I really dislike Knoppix, but having the option of booting 64 or 32bit with joint configuration and home is nice for a live install. This persistent file or partition as an optional resource upon boot is cool.

I've used pkgsrc with Porteus, and having entire configurations available by activating or deactivating a module file is nice. Its like a mini persistent state. I can setup server configuration and applications, create a module, and use the same pendrive to boot a minimalist install by just moving the module from one folder to another before reboot. If I booted overly minimalist, I can activate addition modules live.

I hardly ever use them and haven't needed them until recently. I don't use Knoppix any more, since I can change the Porteus Live-usb between 32 and 64 bit with the swap of the base module. You can do this while running off of the live-usb, so I just make sure the 32 bit base is back in the root module folder before shutdown. I haven't needed it enough to hack in some auto-detection at boot, similar to Knoppix. In my short time with porteus, I did convince it to use 32bit binaries from the 64bit base. Frees up room on the Usb-Stick and I can still use 64bit modules if needed.

I've spent some time daydreaming on ways of implementing this stuff differently on Net and Open. Should be kinda easy compared to other tasks. I just haven't needed it enough to dive in. It doesn't take long to setup an emergency install, so....
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th March 2015
Administrator

This thread has been separated from the laptop thread:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1880

The parent thread is intended for discussing configurations on different hardware, not installation alternatives.

As discussed in the forum rules, we find that most members of this site search through the archives of old threads. In order to help minimize the pain of sifting through extraneous information, we ask members to keep discussion in all threads to a single subject as set forth by the initial post in the thread. Side discussions are encouraged, but please do so by starting new threads.

Starting new threads is easy. Cool members start new threads. New threads are your friend.

#5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2015

As you have seperated it on my posting, my apologies; I had not meant it to take the thread off topic.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2015

Having live installable media certainly helped the spread of Linux, but it also brought in a lot of MS Windows users who knew nothing about the basics of 'unix'; therefore, those that replied on the various forums were constantly going over the same topics, as Windows users expected hand holding through their problems.

This is the only problem I can see with making live media available, it will need its own support forum.

The BSD communities expect you to look for solutions yourself, which I am more than happy with.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
This thread has been separated from the laptop thread:

The parent thread is intended for discussing configurations on different hardware, not installation alternatives.

As discussed in the forum rules, we find that most members of this site search through the archives of old threads. In order to help minimize the pain of sifting through extraneous information, we ask members to keep discussion in all threads to a single subject as set forth by the initial post in the thread. Side discussions are encouraged, but please do so by starting new threads.

Starting new threads is easy. Cool members start new threads. New threads are your friend.

Thanks for the Reminder
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd-keith View Post
...it will need its own support forum...
Mine didn't. Perhaps that was due to the intended audience.

I ran a low volume mailing list but it was never used for support. Members could have posted, but none ever did. I used it for announcements.

I received the occasional support request via Email. Those were low volume and most of those were helpful recommendations for improvements.*

* bug discoveries
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2015

I helped for a bit with GhostBSD, a live installable version of FreeBSD, but the project lost its way for a while, trying to do too many versions, of what was a sound idea.
On their forum, there were a lot of newbie questions cropping up, (like how do I mount my disk), etc.
Mostly from MS Windows users investigating it 'live'; they didn't want to read the FreeBSD documentation.
Rc.conf Instructor

I remember playing once or twice with Jggimi's live CDs but never found any real use for them. What I really found useful is now dormant Frenzy distro of FreeBSD

http://frenzy.org.ua/eng/

I would be very interested in seeing similar OpenBSD based distro possibly done by our own Jggimi

@bsd-keith
Your experience with GhostBSD is very interesting and sort of confirms my intuition that such projects are not too useful. In theory one would hope that lowering entry bar with things like DesktopBSD, PC-BSD, GhostBSD is a good way to get more people interested in BSDs but in practice it quickly become customer service nightmare dealing with people who have no interest in learning. PC-BSD got things in part right by focusing solely ZFS and its features.
Old 26th March 2015
Shell Scout

Seems like live-media comes in most handy when you are stranded on a Microsoft island. Somewhere like a family function at the in-laws. Suddenly someone says the dreaded, "You're a technology guy". Before long you're sitting in front of a computer that looks like its owned by a search bar installing addict. You could wait the eight minutes it takes for the browser to express signs of activity. I've been in that chair, thinking about how earlier in the day I had thought there was no way I'd need to bother bringing that live-memstick.

Sometimes I just say that I'm really not a experienced Windows user.
Old 26th March 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Mine didn't. Perhaps that was due to the intended audience.
Most are likely poking around to see how you did it, so they can make one of their own.
Old 27th March 2015
got root?

There's FuguIta for a live OpenBSD disk, latest release 3/21/15:

http://fuguita.org/?FuguIta

Been a while since I've tried it, however.
Old 27th March 2015

Post running FreeBSD from live CD's

FuguIta is a bit spartan - IceWM, Rox filer, mplayer, w3m, emacs(!!!), & some other curses programs.
Also, being a liveCD, you can't add anything to it, as its read only.
Not sure that I would recommend it to anyone wanting to try OpenBSD.

Edit: I did use FreeSBIE at one time, a few years back, that was a liveCD installable to disk, using FreeBSD. I have also looked at Jibbed, which is NetBSD 6.0.
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
I did use FreeSBIE at one time, a few years back, that was a liveCD installable to disk, using FreeBSD. .
Are you sure FreeSBIE was installable? I still have copy of FreeSBIE 2.0 based on FreeBSD 6.4 and it doesn't have installer. However there was a FreeSBIE port which one could use to create its own customized Live FreeBSD. Installation part was a point of great discontent on mailing FreeSBIE mailing lists.

BTW FreeSBIE was really, really nicely done. I actually used it daily as my desktop OS since the university desktop I had in my office had some kind Windows (it was around 2007).

Last edited by Oko; 27th March 2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 27th March 2015

Yes, FreeSBIE 1.1 was on my hard drive for about a year, before I went over to lightweight Linux distros.
Not sure if 2.0 was/is installable, (maybe a command line installer ?).
ISO Quartermaster

I don't remember installing it but both it and Frenzy were great little FreeBSD live CDs. Nowadays, the FreeBSD installer can work as a non-X live CD so it can be used to test hardware, rescue systems, and so on.
Old 28th March 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Yes, FreeSBIE 1.1 was on my hard drive for about a year, before I went over to lightweight Linux distros.
Not sure if 2.0 was/is installable, (maybe a command line installer ?).
Check out 2.0.1 if you don't believe me that it didn't (2.0 has a nasty set key mapping, keyboard bug so the last version was 2.0.1) http://www.freesbie.org/
Old 28th March 2015
Administrator

This thread discussing FreeBSD live CD's has been split from its parent:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.p...4271#post54271

...which not only was discussing OpenBSD live CD's, but was itself a split from the hardware configuration thread also in the OpenBSD subforae:

Please honor this site's attempt at making searching the archives simpler. Threads should have one topic as established by the initial thread post. Side discussions are encouraged, but please start new threads if the direction you want to go differs from that of the initial post.

Old 28th March 2015

I'm sorry, but this thread was split out of the laptop thread as I had inadvertantly created interest in the subject of live cd's, whilst at that time it was discussion of an OpenBSD liveCD, there was no indication that that should be the only CD to be discussed.

I appreciate that this is your site, but if we can not discuss how other BSD created & used their systems, we will not be able to discuss what is needed in a live OpenBSD CD, should anyone decide to give it a go.