DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2008
New User

Default OpenBSD and routing

This might be more of an advanced question but I am gonna ask it anyways

Is there a way to use openbsd to route all traffic to another ip?

To explain it a little better what I am doing is switching for a cable modem to fiber optics for our internet feed. I want to do the switch over on a weekend but dont want to loose anything while we are waiting for DNS to propogate.

Here is a diagram

This is route will include mail, web, and vpn. Or am i stuck with doing rdr statements to get this to work?

I will explain a little more if someone wants to take the time to help me with this.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2008
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome.

Your diagram appears to be missing.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2008
New User

Forgot to delete that part. I was going to do a diagram but dont have the time to. Is my explanation good enough?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchapman View Post
Is my explanation good enough?
Diagrams can help clarify many details.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2008
More noise than signal

Should we assume your OpenBSD box is a router with, say: 3 NICs. One for your local LAN, one for cable, one for fiber. Is that right?

Should we assume you're not using any route management tools? No ripd(8), no ospfd(8), no bgpd(8), nothing else?

You're just interested in IPv4?

Perhaps simple routing priority will meeting your needs.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Welcome! Hope your new adventures with OBSD are satisfying. With respect, you haven't provided enough info, but let's break down what you have given and attempt to give some insight anyway.

Quote:
Is there a way to use openbsd to route all traffic to another ip?
yes.

Quote:
To explain it a little better what I am doing is switching for a cable modem to fiber optics for our internet feed. I want to do the switch over on a weekend but dont want to loose anything while we are waiting for DNS to propogate.
As jggimi stated, sounds like you need three ethernet ports. Your scenario could be broken down, as I see it from your description, into one of three possibilities-

1) If your current cable router is NAT translating for the hosts behind it, then you are going to have a complicated setup (at the level you appear to be at, no offense) as you would have to be decent with configuring PF to accomplish this.

2) If your current cable router is a routed gateway with no NAT to your hosts behind it, you have a relatively easy road ahead. You would need to modify /etc/sysctl.conf to set "net.inet.ip.forwarding=1" to enable the box to be a router (necesary for the NAT scenario, too.) Then add a few static route statements to have it forward your old and new addressing to your hosts behind it, and you are nearly set.

3) If your current cable router is truly a cable modem that bridges (not routes) the connection between your cable provider and your hosts, then you could configure it to be a bridge. Of course, it's more than likely your new fiber connection would not do the same thing, so things would become more complex again.

Without a better description of your issue, I can't tell if these scenarios would fit or if another one would.

Quote:
Here is a diagram
I was going to do a diagram but dont have the time to.
Asking a question the way you did with no diagram won't get you far. And if you don't have the time to create a diagram, you certainly won't have the time to learn how to configure OBSD to do what you want it to. Go ahead and check for something similar to this-

http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?...GoogleShopping

... which will perform what you need, without you having to learn anything.