DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2013
More noise than signal

Default First experiments with fuse(4)

In March of this year, Sylvestre Gallon (syl@) posted to tech@ his work-in-progress on a Fuse ("filesystem in userland") implementation for OpenBSD. Since then, implementation work has continued among developers and on Friday, what I understand to be the first Fuse-based application was implemented: Tuxera's ntfs-3g driver has been made functional for OpenBSD as new port sysutils/ntfs-3g. Developers were testing on amd64 and in my own testing today I and am pleased to report that it functions well for me on i386.

This means that OpenBD now has the capability to write to NTFS filesystems, and to use the ntfs-3g toolset to completely manage NTFS partitions through the ntfs-3g ntfsprogs(8) tool suite.

All of this is new, and welcome to those of us (like me) who have been using other OSes in order to use Tuxera's ntfs-3g software.

This functionality is in active development, therefore status is subject to continuous change. When I was testing a few short hours ago, fuse(4) required a custom kernel, the userland library fuselib needed to be manually installed, two fuselib header files needed to be manually added to /usr/include, and /dev/fuse* devices needed to be created. All of this may change in the next hours, days, or weeks as work continues.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th June 2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: clarity, typo
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th June 2013
More noise than signal

There is a second Fuse application -- sysutils/sshfs-fuse. I've done some minimal testing and it appears to work, though it produces a warning complaint upon umount.

For those who are unfamiliar with sshfs, it is a filesystem interface for sftp(1).