DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2008
New User

Default Courier IMAP Different MD5 version

Tried to install courier-imap-4.1.1p2 on Open BSD 4.3 which is currently running qmail with Maildir mailboxs.

Fatal error is :

Collision: the following files already exist
/usr/local/bin/maildirmake (different md5)

Do I simply delete /usr/local/bin/maildirmake then retry installation?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2008
More noise than signal

Check the output of
$ pkg_info
It is my guess you had a failure during your first attempted installation, and now have a partial-courier-imap-4.1.1p2 installed.

If so, use
# pkg_delete partial-courier-imap
to remove it.

If you don't have a partial-* package installation, the output of
$ pkg_info -E /usr/local/bin/maildirmake
will tell you which package it belongs to.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2008
New User

courier-imap-4.1.1p2 had not been installed as failed with fatal error after the collision of maildirmake which is incidentally a sybbolic link to /usr/local/qmail/bin/maildirmake. Maildirmake is a program that came with qmail which was installed from source. The program is used to create maildir folders specified by procmail rules.

I assume (differnt md5) simply means that the 2 executable files are not identical.
Can the maildirmake from courier cause problems for qmail if I delete old maildirmake and let couier replace it with its version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Check the output of
$ pkg_info
It is my guess you had a failure during your first attempted installation, and now have a partial-courier-imap-4.1.1p2 installed.

If so, use
# pkg_delete partial-courier-imap
to remove it.

If you don't have a partial-* package installation, the output of
$ pkg_info -E /usr/local/bin/maildirmake
will tell you which package it belongs to.

Last edited by jrs665; 30th October 2008 at 12:07 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs665 View Post
Maildirmake is a program that came with qmail which was installed from source.
You are seeing interference in /usr/local between the ports/packages system and manually installed 3rd party software you installed from the wild.
Quote:
I assume (differnt md5) simply means that the 2 executable files are not identical.
Correct.
Quote:
Can the maildirmake from courier cause problems for qmail if I delete old maildirmake and let couier replace it with its version?
The two versions of the same named program may behave identically. Or, they may be entirely different. You can either assume they are different, and manage appropriately, or, you will have to do careful testing. This is something you will have to consider on your own, since installing software from the wild is entirely unsupported.

The best practice for the safe installation of such software is to keep all of it away from any hierarchy used by the ports/package system, such as /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/lib. Installing in /usr/local/qmail as you did meets such best practice, but ... but rather than using a symlink for binaries, it is safer to use a private $PATH when using these applications in order to avoid problems like the one you are seeing now.

There has been at least one port of qmail for OpenBSD -- and the use of qmail has been discussed on the ports@ mailing list. Here's a link to a mailing list archive, with a list of posts that mentions qmail:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&w=2&r=1&s=qmail&q=b