DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2011
Port Guard

Default Current branch

Hi

I need some feature from current release, and my question is how unstable it is ? It is only suitable for desktop purpose ?

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkelos View Post
...how unstable it is ? It is only suitable for desktop purpose ?
Below is simply one opinion.

I run -current on all of my hardware, & -current is quite stable. However, issues can present themselves on occasion, & users of -current are expected to know how to deal with them. One important way of dealing with relying on development software is to do frequent back-ups. Another is redundancy.

Nevertheless, where you might draw the line on "stability" & "desktop purpose" may be different from others. Running -current is not for everyone, & Section 5.1 of the FAQ draws additional distinctions. You are advised to study this section before making a decision.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2011
Port Guard

When i said desktop i was thinking rather about not production enviroment

Thanks
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

There is the occasional "aww dangit" in CURRENT. Ironically, I run CURRENT on my desktop, but not on my servers because an "aww dangit" (no matter how quickly fixed in CURRENT) has the potential to really screw up my day if it happens on a critical network service (I'm the only OpenBSD guy in my IT department, though the Director is quite fluent with FreeBSD). My production machines run STABLE.

So it depends, I suppose. If an issue only occurs in CURRENT once every 2 years, is that too much for your production environment? You could always stick to snapshots and watch the mailing lists to see which snapshots have issues reported, but usually snapshot updates happen faster than issues being reported. Do you have a test machine you can install snapshots on?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Do you have a test machine you can install snapshots on?
Yes, i have