DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Default Invalid encoding from Debian Wheezy files

Again, Hello!
I have a problem it seems I can't solve. I am french and i have problem with accentued and "ç" character.
I managed:
-to set LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 in ~/.profile. LANG and LC_ALL are purposely unset.
-in X, I have the right encoding in terminal, vim, mousepad, etc...
-under tty, keyboard input is fine but through more/less/vi/vim the text encoding doesn't work

My guess is that some part of the system pays attention to my locales, some don't care. This is a little issue but I think it's linked to the real problem:
Lastly, I filled ~/ with my data from an external drive. This data comes directly from my ex-debian install.
Xfce4(?) will append "invalid encoding" at the folder/file name if it contains those problematic character. It even messed up completly some folder name: "01-LAM~1" instead of "01 - La Mauvaise Réputation".

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited by Funkygoby; 17th September 2015 at 04:51 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2015
Marveled user

Les accents, c'est le mal !
Il faut pas ! Jamais !

Accentued characters are evil !
Do not ! Never !
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2015
Spam Deminer

I would also advise against just dumping the dotfiles from a different OS into $HOME and expecting everything to work as before.

edit:

J65nko, I know he wasn't specific, it was just a "friendly" warning (I also tend to think of everything as "data", I've also seen configuration files referred to as "data").

Funkygoby, I probably misunderstood the issue you were having, but wasn't jumping on you with accusations, even if it seemed like it - apologies for that. I can't add anything further, so won't bump/clutter the thread.

Last edited by blackhole; 23rd September 2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: comment
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2015
Administrator

Cynwolf, as far as I understand, he only copied data from Debian to his home directory, not the dotfiles

Funkygoby, are you aware of this section in the OpenBSD FAQ : http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#locales ?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th September 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Thank you all for your replis. The FAQ answered the first part of my question, the main problem remains though.
As always, i missed some lines in the FAQ. After re-reading the locales section, I learned that UTF-8 isn't supported in tty.
So, in order to properly read french character in ttys, the file needs to be ISO8859-1/15 encoded and your locales set accordingly. Not a real problem, I avoid ttys anyway.

Now to the main problem: file/folder names.
@LeFrettchen: A lot of my file comes from other people, some are french, other are spanish, english. Many files comes with national specific character handled by UTF-8.

@cynwulf: This as nothing to do with my concern. I learned (during my early days with ubuntu) to avoid porting conf files between different system or version. This post deals with data files: music, documents, pdfs, etc...

@J65nko: Re-reading this FAQ page helped me sort of, but didn't solve the main problem.

I did some experiments:
-Under tty, touch éà will produce a file named "??" under tty and thunar.
-Under xfce4, creating a new file in thunar named éà will behave just fine but under the tty, it will appear as "??"

I copied my data using rsync under Xterminal.
When I have some times, I will try to understand how filenames are stored. Maybe I could use some encoding converter on the source data and then re-run rsync.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2015
Fdisk Soldier

Just to say, I found something interesting in man mount_msdos:
the options iocharset.
I don't have an OpenBSD right to try this. Maybe next time...