DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2012
Spam Deminer

Default virtual size includes shared library memory?

On UNIX and Unix-like systems is there any kind of standard definition for what a process's virtual size (vsz, vm_size, vsize in ps or size in top, depending on system) means in terms of mapped in shared libraries? It seems like it's all over the place. If I remember rightly OpenBSD excludes the shared library memory while other systems include it. At least I recall seeing cases where virtual size was smaller than resident set size on OpenBSD, yet on the NetBSD system in front of me now I see nothing like that. Some looking around on the internet shows no clear answer, but seems to imply that FreeBSD and Linux each define virtual size to include the mapped in shared library memory. I'll have to try to experiment a little with DragonFly when I get home.

What's your experience?