DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2009
New User

Default How to make DesktopBSD detect re0?

Hi,
I need to find out how to make DesktopBSD use the 're0' driver.

The thing is that I'm in love with FreeBSD, but can't get my head around making X work ... so I'm experimenting with PC-BSD and DesktopBSD (and prefer the latter).

My pc is based on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R motherboard which sports dual Realtek 8111C chips for ethernet. What's odd is that PC-BSD recognizes these, but DesktopBSD does not. I haven't yet found out whether FreeBSD does or not (I know: poor research; I beg your pardon).

Searching for DesktopBSD and Realtek and that Gigabyte board returns no relevant results. Help! I need a bit of hand-holding; I need to find out how to make DesktopBSD use the 're0' driver, but I don't know whether it's included in a standard install but just isn't loaded, or else where and how to get it -- especially without, you know, a network connection.

Edit: Forgot to mention: DesktopBSD is the v1.6 DVD version pulled from their site last week.

Last edited by KlaymenDK; 5th January 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: DesktopBSD is v1.6

Tags
8111c, desktopbsd, ga-ep45-ds3r, re0, realtek