DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
New User

Default NFS Server DNS Issue

Hi Everyone,

I have googled this to death and can't really find an answer to my issue, I was wondering if anyone could help out.

The situation is that I am remote booting two thin clients over NFS using FreeBSD 7.0. These are display computers and are often connected to erratic wireless internet. The issue is that operations over NFS are extremely slow/completely fail when the wireless internet connection fails. It is like the NFS server is doing a reverse DNS lookup every time a file is requested.

The exports line in question does not use hostnames and uses network only:
/data/misc -maproot=root -alldirs -network 192.168.1.0 -mask 255.255.0.0

My question is, is it possible to tell freebsd's nfs server to completely stop using DNS?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Cheers,

Jay
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbodge View Post
The issue is that operations over NFS are extremely slow/completely fail when the wireless internet connection fails. It is like the NFS server is doing a reverse DNS lookup every time a file is requested.
First remark: It sounds pretyy normal me to me that NFS fails when the network link fails.

Second remark: can you confirm the reverse name lookups with tcpdump or DNS server logs?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
New User

Hi J65nko,

To confirm the NFS server is in the same network (lan) as the Thin clients (192.168.1.0). The issue (I think) is when the wireless gateway drops out and there is no DNS then the NFS server starts going slow.

I just did a tcpdump as you suggested and figured out the issue. Thanks for your help.

The problem was that the dhcp was giving the hosts a hostname and they must've been using this hostname in their nfs requests. Simply adding the hostnames of the thin clients to /etc/hosts on the server solved this problem.

Cheers,

Jay
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
Administrator

That is how a real system administrator solves issues like this, with tcpdump