DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2015
Port Guard

Default NetBSD into your personal computer ?

Hello everyone,

I am a GNU/Linux user (Arch Linux) who start to use more and more NetBSD on my desktop.

I am quite new with UNIX-like systems so I have many troubles making some softwares work (especially because I am not good with sources).

My question is pretty simple : Can NetBSD really be used for a totally desktop usage (Go on the web, play some games (very few), listen to music or watch movie, chat with some friends (even with Mumble, why not) etc...)

BSD is more designed for servers but can they be used everyday as the primary computer for everything ?

I met a strange problem with the sound : it can only play one software at a time when FreeBSD can play anything... But they are both using OSS so I didn't really understand why.

pkgsrc is full of many softwares. Anyone who want to use NetBSD could easily be able to install ANYTHING (in my case, it helps a lot) so this is an amazing project and judging by the huge amount of different packages, you can get a multimedia machine so my question is not about the presence of enough packages for a multimedia machine but more about if NetBSD can be used as it.