DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 19th August 2015
More noise than signal

That is definitively unrelated. The reporting service was dhclient(8).
Old 19th August 2015
parrot

Ok, thanks,
Quote:
About the DHCP problem, that must be an unrelated issue?
I don't know, my hopes are it isn't, it tries the DHCP, first automaticly when it boots, but
in the manual, (don't have the link handy, I think in one of my previous posts it is there), any way I did read that the device is supported,
Quote:
It's probably worth it to test the other three control lines to see if they also appear to respond to modem AT commands
Actually I did do that, at the start of this, and the other 3 did not respond,.. When I was reading the things on , dhclient(8) , and also I did see some mention of maybe needing to make a "hostname.if" file, this is something I have not done,( I thought it was not needed)
but maybe it is,
Quote:
There must be something we're missing.
I think so, I don't mind looking for a "needle in the haystack", but I was concerened, it almost sounded like maybe it simply is not possible, in which case, that would be like "looking for a needle in the haystack," but there is no needle, there,...this afternoon, the "signal" is very poor, so I don't think I am
going to be able to do much, it just barely connected and is using the gprs (edge), actually shows 00% as the signal strength, not a good time to try, cause it is likely not to connect even if I get it right.
Thanks , a bunch, .. anyway, if and when we solve this, we'll have something that other using broadband devices can use,as well.
Old 19th August 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
...it tries the DHCP...
This is because you have one or more files on that system that you installed in error. One might be /etc/hostname.re0, and, because you had a vlan0 defined, you must also have a /etc/hostname.vlan0 defined. You don't have an Ethernet network of any kind, these files are unneeded and may be safely deleted.

They don't cause damage, and are not involved with PPP in any way. They only cause dhclient(8) to be run and it produces error messages.

I'll repeat, or restate, what I've said previously. The re0 network interface is unused, there is no Ethernet network connected. And the vlan0 network interface cannot connect, because not only is there no Ethernet, it is not an Ethernet network connected via a managed switching backplane deployed with IEEE 802.1Q networking capability.
Old 20th August 2015
parrot

Quote:
This is because you have one or more files on that system that you installed in error. One might be /etc/hostname.re0, and, because you had a vlan0 defined, you must also have a /etc/hostname.vlan0 defined. You don't have an Ethernet network of any kind, these files are unneeded and may be safely deleted.
Ok, yes, I have seen both of the files, thanks,
Old 15th April 2018
Shell Scout

sorry for digging up the dead (zombie fan btw), but I'm having the exact same problem with 3G modem on my 6.3. GarryR, have you managed to set up the connection? I'm completely clueless...I was reading some manuals, config files etc. but can't put it all together to work.
appreciate any help.
thanks in advance
Old 15th April 2018
parrot

Sorry, no, I never did solve this, I used OpenBsd on a VM, and bridge so that it could connect to internet, at that time it was Debian host, later when my ISP / and cell phone providers came up with
USB tethering, on a newer phone, I stopped using the Broad Band device and started using the usb tethering, With the usb tethering the DHCP, works, and I start it with :
Code:
doas dhclient urndis0
Actually, I have a shell script, and just type "start" in the terminal, but that would be another topic.
If at all possible, get a modern cell phone, one with android, I am using a brand called "Blu", but I am sure others are similar, the USB tethering works great.
I have not used the 3g broad band device for 2 years now,...as you can see in the thread more the 1 person tried really hard to help on this, and I did a lot of searching , research, if it is possible, I never found anything or anyone that could confirm it is possible , and that they have done it.
Sorry
Shell Scout

Oh man. Thanks a lot anyway.
It seems like one of those never-to-be-explained topics: is the Bible true?, who did 9/11?, can OpenBSD work with 3G USB modem?, why does Donald Duck wear no pants but when he gets out of the shower he puts on a towel? etc...
Old 15th April 2018
parrot

The brand of the modem may be a factor, I just did a search using these keywords:
Code:
can OpenBSD work with 3G USB modem?
One result, but very outdated: https://www.chrisk.de/blog/2011/03/h...wei-e1750-umts Makes it sound like it is possible,...
Another site shows what is supported (maybe) https://man.openbsd.org/umsm.4
Has a example, that might work , if it happens to be a Cingular Wireless
Quote:
EXAMPLES
An example demand dial configuration for Cingular Wireless using pppd(8):
and actually that example , almost worked on mine,... One major problem for me , mine never was very reliable, even on Linux, or a machine with windows,(my kid had WindowsXP), even then it might work now, but later no, When I first configured it for Linux, it was not to hard, and worked, sometimes, other times it didn't, at first I thought it was something in my configuration, and would check, finding nothing had changed, I finally decided to call the ISP support, and they told me the service was down in my area. Well this was a ongoing problem, and after calling them 50 or 60 times, and all ways the same "service is down in you area",... I finally stopped checking the configuration, etc,...
How ever, when I started to try to configure it for OpenBsd, it occurred to me , I may have actually had it working at some point, but by coincidence, the lousy ISP was down, and mislead me, into thinking my configuration was bad,... not a easy to test, in my situation.
What brand, etc is your 3g broadband device ?
Still after all said and done,now that they have devices that can be tethered, the 3 broad band devices are rather outdated, for example the ISP, and cell phone company that I bought from does NOT even sell them any more, all though the same chip that was used in the device, is being used in my phone that I use for tethering,... I guess what I am saying, unless you simply have no alternative, or enjoy experimenting, it does not seem like it would be worth the time and trouble to try to figure it out.
If your device works on a Windows system, and Linux, I am sure it can be configured to work on OpenBsd, but it won't be easy.
Shell Scout

GarryR, thank you for your engagement in the topic. My modem is ZTE MF195, which is supported in OpenBSD. I thought, how hard can it be? Stupid me..
Old 15th April 2018
parrot

I noticed you started another topic 3 days ago, here:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=10660
And I posted , or though I did, but something went wrong, any way are these related ?
I am going to post in the other thread, because what I found is more related to that question.
Shell Scout

yes, I did start a topic there but since no-one responded I decided to dig up this old topic. We can move there and just let it rest in peace