DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2009
New User

Thumbs down Some Questions ??

Hi To All

I Have some question please if any one can answer them (TNX)
1- how can start,stop.restart services in openbsd(like squid,ssh,network,...) ??
in linux it is very easy to do anything but in openbsd ??

2- how we can use openbsd as cache , bandwidth controller ,,after installlation delay_pool not supported ?????? what i have to do ??

3- my new server has 4 HDD SCSI and i want to use as i said for cache-proxy ,.... . i want to use all 4 HDDs also use RAID but it is only to use one HDD (sd0,ds1,sd2,sd3) and it is only sd0 ,, it is maybe to use all or no and how ????

thanks all
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultranothing View Post
1- how can start,stop.restart services in openbsd(like squid,ssh,network,...) ??
Built-in services are started by rc(8) environment variables. The default settings are found in /etc/rc.conf, and the admin should normally make local changes to these variables in /etc/rc.conf.local. See rc.conf(5) for more information.

3rd party packages are started by scripts the admin writes in /etc/rc.local. See rc(8), again.

The network is started by rc(8). The admin may restart the entire network or an individual NIC through:
# sh /etc/netstart [nic]
Please see netstart(8), and all of FAQ 6.

For your 3rd party packages, the admin may manually stop/start daemons, or, if the application does not come with management scripts, the admin may write his/her own.
Quote:
2- how we can use openbsd as cache , bandwidth controller ,,after installlation delay_pool not supported ?????? what i have to do ??
Regarding bandwidth: I've already answered that question in your first thread: http://www.daemonforums.org/showthre...3652#post26188
The bandwidth tool is OpenBSD's Packet Filter, PF. I instructed you to read the PF Users Guide, which is part of the OpenBSD FAQ. Please read it.

Regarding cache: what kind? If HTTP, the admin typically uses Squid, which is a 3rd party package, and one you already mentioned. If you intend a cache for something other than HTTP, please restate your question.
Quote:
3- my new server has 4 HDD SCSI and i want to use as i said for cache-proxy ,.... . i want to use all 4 HDDs also use RAID but it is only to use one HDD (sd0,ds1,sd2,sd3) and it is only sd0 ,, it is maybe to use all or no and how ????
The current answer is RAIDframe. A newer technology, Softraid, is still in development and may not be suitable for production -- the only redundancy configuration is RAID1, and after a drive failure, the array must be backed up and then restored, it cannot reestablish a mirror. RAIDframe is a fully functional RAID 0/1/3/5 solution, but it requires a custom kernel. RAIDframe is described in FAQ 14, and custom kernels are described in FAQ 5. Read both, very carefully.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2009
New User

Wink OpenBSD Some Question

tnx for your answers

ineed squid in openbsd for cache (http,ftp) and controlling the download files such as .zip , .tar and .... .
also i can not undestand your answer about using all 4 HDD ?? how can partioning the system with all 4 HDD ?

thanks a lot
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2009
More noise than signal

FAQ 14 is the FAQ to read for disk drive setup, configuration, and management. Have you read it, yet?

If all you want to do is add sd1, sd2, and sd3 to your system as standard disk drives, start with FAQ 14.3, which describes using fdisk(8), disklabel(8), mount(8), and fstab(5). Other parts of the FAQ will also be helpful, such as 14.1 and 14.2.

You asked, above, about using drives in a software RAID array, so you should also read FAQ 14.13. Carefully. This FAQ will discuss two software RAID technologies: RAIDframe, which I mentioned above, and ccd(8), which I did not.

The FAQ will tell you that ccd is easier to configure than RAIDframe, but that it has recoverability limitations.

Please, read the FAQ. Then, once you have read it, if you have a specific question, feel free to ask it.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2009
Banned

softraid(4) is a little further along than jggimi mentions, it is in the default kernel after all.. unfortunately the major problem is that backwards compatibility is not a goal, and newer viewers may break on-disk structure (..forcing you to rebuild the array).

A bonus with softraid is that it is controlled and monitored with the same utilities as many of the hardware RAID controllers, bioctl(8).

There are 4 methods available, ccd(4).. raid(4) - (..aka RAIDframe).. softraid(4).. and hardware RAID controllers (..apropos RAID).

Good luck.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2009
More noise than signal

I still don't think Softraid is ready as a production RAID environment. And I say that as a user of Softraid in production. I do so for its CRYPTO discipline, not for RAID.

It does support more than RAID 1, now, as RAID 0/4/5 were added. However, f you lose a mirror in RAID 1, or, lose a drive in a RAID 4 or RAID 5 array, the arrays will continue operating, but -- unfortunately -- recovery of the full array will requires a complete backup and restore, negating its usefulness in comparison with other RAID technologies.

RAID 0, because it has no redundancy at all (it should never have been called "RAID" by UC Berkeley), would not be a problem, since the array would have to be recreated anyway.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
...it is in the default kernel after all..
It is not an uncommon practice within the project to put new functionality into place (sometimes for several versions...), but not enable it until it is deemed stable enough for general usage. Although I suspect BSDfan666 is well aware of this, others reading this thread may not, & may read more into the above comment than is intended.