DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
BSD Daemon

Exclamation Java 1.6 plugin not working with Firefox 3

Hi,

I use FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE with Firefox 3.0.5 and am having some trouble getting the Java VM working.

I have tried both the diablo-jre16 and diablo-jdk16 ports with the javavmwrapper installed. I tried the diablo ports installed individually and together, and have tried installing them both from source and the packages on the FreeBSD Foundation website.

At all times there has been a link called libjava_oji.so in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins either pointing to /usr/local/diablo-jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so or the equivalent libjavaplugin_oji.so from the diablo-jdk16 port.

Whatever I seem to try the Java VM doesn't work in Firefox 3 and is not listed in about:plugins. A look at about:config shows the following ...

Quote:
java.default_java_location_others default string /usr/java
java.default_java_location_solaris default string /usr/j2se
java.global_java_version_file default string /etc/.java/versions
java.global_plugin_library_name default string javaplugin_oji
java.private_java_version_file default string ~/.java/versions
security.enable_java default boolean true
I tried changing java.global_plugin_library_name to javaplugin_oji.so and even /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/javaplugin_oji.so to no avail. I restarted Firefox after every change too.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I haven't yet tried the diablo-jre15 and diablo-jdk15 ports but would prefer to use the later version.

Thanks in advance,
whetphish.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Are you sure that browser plugins are in JRE 1.6? On OpenBSD they are in JRE 1.5 for
which you must compile JDK 1.5 due to the license issues. Those are not distributed as
binaries unlike JDK 1.6. SUN did NOT open source browser plugins. Even on Linux you have to go to
SUN web site and get SUN's Java and agree to its license if you want to have working plugins.
Open Java has some plugins but of what I heard from RedHat people they are not usable.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
BSD Daemon

Hi Oko,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit confused as to the license situation, but the browser_plugins directory does contain a symlink to the libjavaplugin_oji.so in the diablo-jre16 port (or diablo-jdk16 port if I install that) and this is all I needed in a previous version of FreeBSD with the 1.5 plugin.

All the other plugins in the browser_plugin directory seem to work fine in Firefox 3. Maybe I should contact the port maintainers to see if they are aware of any issues. They might be able to clarify the plugin license situation too.

I did have to manually download jce_policy-6.zip and tzupdater-1_3_11-2008i.zip from Sun, agreeing to their license. I also had to manually download diablo-caffe-freebsd7-i386-1.6.0_07-b02.tar.bz2 and diablo-latte-freebsd7-i386-1.6.0_07-b02.tar.bz2 from the FreeBSD Foundation website agreeing to a separate license (negotiated with Sun).

Regards,
whetphish.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
Risen from the ashes

If you read the notes that show up when you install the JRE, you'll know that it doesn't automatically install the needed links to enable the plugin. This is due to each version of the JRE using the same name for the plugin.

So, you need to manually symlink the plugin .so that you want to use into ~/.mozilla/plugins/

For example, the following enabled JRE 1.6.0 plugin for Firefox:
$ ln -s /usr/local/diablo-jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

Obviously, change the directory to match the browser that you use.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
BSD Daemon

Talking Thank you!

Thanks very much Pheonix, I created ~/.mozilla/plugins, created the symlink and it worked a treat!

I wasn't aware that you could put plugins in ~/.mozilla/plugins as my other plugins are installed in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins and the Java one wouldn't work from there.

Thanks again,
whetphish.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2009
New User

Is there any particular reason why Fx3 doesn't take the symlink in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins? Seems a bit odd to me...