DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th June 2008
New User

Question WiFi: Low sepeed on big files, txpower, wpa_suppl...

Hi!

I use Alix and 2 ath wifi card on ch 1 and 11. I can setup one card with WPA2, but not the other one in the hostapd.conf. I have problem with the other WPA2 configuration. I have post another thread about that. But I think if I can use two wpa_supplicant.conf files, or have both configurations in the same wpa_supplicant.conf file. But I don't know how.

But.. that's the first problem, the second one a notes is that the system have a very bad topspeed when I transfer big files or a folder, we speak minimum 50MB. Over 150-200MB it always be dropouts and error. To surf, mail and normal transfer is no problem and go very fast, super fast!, if I compare with a better D-Link Access Point, DWL-2200AP.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=347

But the D-link do the big files transfer much much better and faster, and always transfer then with no error or dropouts.

How can this be? What's the possibly problem?

I have two ath cards, one normal 20dB, -100dB and the other one is a hi effect on 25.5dBm, -95dBm. The both card works perfect with excellent connections, even on long distant. Never dropt or other. It's just working! The only problem is the low speed on big files, and of course, big files is dead for the wireless, but not like this! I can't transfer a file on 150MB! That's twrong.

I think if it's can be with the MTU?
Then we have the Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME)?

Are I on the right way here or completely lost?

BTW, the txpower in ifconfig, on my both cars is standing in 31.5. What is this? Thats not the output in dB, cant be! If I change the txpower, I reduce the power of course, but how do I know the output power from the card. Sometimes I need to reduce, but I want to know how much power I broadcast. And I don't have a external meter, so I need to calculate on the output of the card, the antennas and the cable.

So 3 problems.

1. wpa_supplicant.conf, need WPA2 on both cards.
2. The low speed on big files.
3. The txpower.

Thanks!

/Malinda