DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Package Pilot

Default Changing package repositories from RHEL to CentOS

Hello,

Is it possible to change the repository in place for updates on a running RHEL 3/4/5 from Red Hat to CentOS? I suppose this should work as it is, basically, almost the same OS. Right?

Thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

That strikes me as risky. Wouldn't you lose your support?

I would think, however, that you could add various repos, especially the Dag Wiers one, to your /etc/yum.repos.d. On the other hand, I have no idea how this would affect support status.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Package Pilot

Thanks for the reply scottro.

Support is not an issue here, as our site-wide support will expire in a month or two.

I commonly use Dag's repository. However, I am looking for something that went through a little more testing. This is why I liked RHEL's packages. I suppose CentOS packages are as tested as those offered by Red Hat. Aren't they?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukov
Is it possible to change the repository in place for updates on a running RHEL 3/4/5 from Red Hat to CentOS?
I have heard (i.e. on various forums) that this is possible. The theory is that RHEL4 should get along with CentOS 4 repos, etc... I can't say I vouch for it, and I can't say anyone I trust has explicitly said this.

On my RHEL servers I only use RHN repositories. For any software that I can't get through the RHN, I carefully build/install from source (to /usr/local). I don't like doing even that.

As for the support complications scottro spoke to: since this will almost certainly void your support contract, maybe consider just changing the box to CentOS instead if needed.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Can you set up a sacrificial test machine? I had thought that something about this was in the CentOS faq, but it isn't--nor did a quick search of the forums find an answer.

A bit more googling around indicated it's possible, and in theory, it seems as if it should work. There have to be some guides around, I just haven't found any.

Ah, on the CentOS wiki, I should have gone there first.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide

Look for
Migration from RHEL5 to CentOS5
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Package Pilot

Thanks for the warnings and the link.

I have just what it takes here to do the test: a good machine running RHEL5 ready for sacrifice. I'm going to follow the procedure described on the wiki and document how it went.

Thanks!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Package Pilot

Worked with no issues from RHEL5 to CentOS5 with the WIKI you provided scottro. Nothing broken yet.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Knock wood and don't tempt the computer gods.

Glad it's working, and it's good to know that all of us who expressed an opinion were right.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Spam Deminer

All Linux distros come with specific kernel patches.
Mixing rpm's should be OK until the system breaks. You are warned

Note that, there are rpms and rpms. Some are just shell or Perl scripts, some install in a dedicated per version subdir without intercourse.
As long as you know what you are doing.
ISO Quartermaster

Your sig is apropos for me today. I did an upgrade of Fedora 8 to Fedora 9 today (on my workstation, not a server of course) and killed X. Fixed it though.

The CentOS people do a lot of testing and their wiki articles are also reviewed--so, in general (I'm sure there are exceptions), if the wiki says it is safe, it probably is.

Of course, stukov does have that test box, in case it isn't.
Old 17th June 2008
Package Pilot

Thanks for the warn lvlamb. I can take the risk, the machine I've tried this on is only taking pictures on webcams with "motion". If something breaks, I'll let you know. I'll leave it this way a few weeks, and I then will switch real production server to CentOS.