DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
New User

Default [FreeBSD] which version of PostgreSQL?

I am configuring a FreeBSD /Apache 2.2/PHP5.2.5/PostgreSQL 8.x not so big server. I observed that the default "ports" installation (the one installed, installing Apache/2.2.6) of PostgreSQL is version 8.1. But i see in "ports" section that 8.3 is also available, but when i tried to install it, i had the beta warning, even if I found in postgre web site that is not anymore beta.
So which version should I install?

Thanks, and sorry about my bad english.

MacApp
;-)

uname -a
"FreeBSD freebsd.local 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008 root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386"

p.s. i posted this question in old forum:
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/...ad.php?t=60479
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
Tcpdump Spy

The default PostgreSQL is 8.2, not 8.1.
In addition, there is no "beta warning" for postgreSQL 8.3, in fact, it is the current stable version.

I think you're using an outdated ports tree, see section 4.5.1 of the FreeBSD handbook for instructions on how to update your portstree.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Unless some of the things you wish to run require a specific version of postgres, I would suggest that you go with the most recent, current version, which is postgres8.3. As well as continuing performance improvements, Later versions have very useful features.
For instance, 8.2 added the INSERT INTO ... RETURNING feature, which very neatly solves the problem of recovering the automatically generated id of a just-inserted row -
Code:
INSERT INTO table (text, number, date) VALUES ('Hello World', 42, '2008-06-05') RETURNING id;
I don't know what goodies are available in 8.3, but check out the release notes at postgresql.org should tell you. It seems like updatable cursors are the big addition.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2008
Administrator

Trust me, you want the latest postgres 8.3:
http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/blog/ind...s/21-guid.html

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2008
New User

Few minutes ago, I made portugrade -a, pkgdb -F, than i also did sysinstall following the procedure described by Carpetsmoker throw ftp connection, i remade portugrade -a, pkgdb -F and i have this output while trying installing PostgreSQL 83 client and server:

Code:
===>   Registering installation for postgresql-client-8.3beta2
freebsd# pwd
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql83-client
freebsd# cd ..
freebsd# cd postgresql83-server/
freebsd# make

== BETA QUALITY, NOT FOR PRODUCTION USE! ==

=========== BACKUP YOUR DATA! =============
  As always, backup your data before
  upgrading. If the upgrade leads to a higher
  minor revision (e.g. 7.3.x -> 7.4), a dump
  and restore of all databases is
  required. This is *NOT* done by the port!

Press ctrl-C *now* if you need to pg_dump.
  ===========================================
I am telling that by default the version is 8.1 because that was installed installing apache.
How is it possible to know (without uninstalling and reinstalling apache and all dependents software) witch is the default installation of PostgreSQL? How is it possible you don't have the beta warning and I have?
thanks

sorry for my bad english, and ok I am new in FreeBSD, that's why I am asking.

thanks, MacApp

uname -a
"FreeBSD freebsd.local 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008 root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386"

Last edited by MacApp; 10th July 2008 at 12:55 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

You have an old ports tree. You should not have an old ports tree. Update your ports tree.

The correct way is with the 'portsnap' command:

# portsnap fetch fetches the current compressed 'snapshot" of the ports tree, or updates your snapshot if you already have an older one
# portsnap extract extracts the compressed ports tree, replacing the existing ports tree. Use this if you are using portsnap for the first time, if you have cvsupped your tree since you last used portsnap, or you feel there is some problem with your tree and would like to start afresh.
# portsnap update merges any changes to the snapshots to your ports tree. use this after portsnap fetch to keep your ports tree updated.

When you have done this, the ports tree will install the current, stable, and all-around-goodfull postgres-8.3
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2008
New User

thanks a lot, i am working on it ;-)

EDIT: if portsnap method works, does it mean that the sysinstall method to be upgrated (described in FreeBSD Handbook
4.5.1 Obtaining the Ports Collection - Sysinstall Method
) is not working?

Last edited by MacApp; 10th July 2008 at 01:53 AM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

The sysinstall method will get you _a_ ports tree. It will not give you the latest ports tree. (Probably the ports tree image as of when the release was cut?)
It is a ports tree that you can then update with csup.

The portsnap method, which is fairly new as they go, but now considered the standard, replaces use of sysinstall and csup. Sysinstall followed by csup is probably more efficient to get an up to date ports tree once, (provided your release is recent enough), but portsnap is vastly more efficient in keeping your tree current for the long term.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2008
New User

Thanks a lot, i updated and installed my server successfully ;-)

Tags
postgresql