DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2011
New User

Default How do I run a shell command in a while loop?

Hi,

I am running an IRC client in OpenBSD and I choose sic because with such short amount of lines it seems very audit-able for security as opposed to larger clients such as irssi.

I usually perform:

Code:
sic -h irc.freenode.net 2>&1 | tee -a irc.log
I pipe the output of sic to tee in order to log my IRC sessions.

I'm trying to handle reconnects by running it in a while loop in the shell process and cat the initial commands into sic's stdin.

I would think to approach this by using a fifo (using the mkfifo(1) command) to redirect sic's stdin, but I'm not sure if there's a more elegant way to reconnect on ping timeouts, kills, servers going down, and just disconnects in general.

How do you suggest I go about doing this?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2011
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

I don't use IRC or sic, but I have used loops in shells, which are easy enough. I'm not sure what you are looking for with your question. Looping syntax? For an infinite loop, perhaps:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
while :; do
     sic -h irc.freenode.net 2>&1 | tee -a irc.log
done
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2011
New User

Well, I'm sure you have an understanding of general IRC even if you don't use it? In any case, sic is a very simple IRC client (that's what sic is an acronym for) that outputs the actualy IRC interaction to the shell directly, i.e.:

Code:
[~] $ sic -h irc.freenode.net 2>&1 | tee -a irc.log
zelazny.freenode.net: 12/05/11 14:45 >< NOTICE (*): *** Looking up your hostname...
zelazny.freenode.net: 12/05/11 14:45 >< NOTICE (*): *** Checking Ident
zelazny.freenode.net: 12/05/11 14:45 >< NOTICE (*): *** Found your hostname
^C
[~] $
But sometimes it disconnects, such as the common reason 'Ping timeout'. Most clients can be configured to automatically reconnected if it sees that it's not connected, but in the case of sic, it drops back into the terminal:

Code:
[~] $ sic -h irc.freenode.net 2>&1 | tee -a irc.log
zelazny.freenode.net: 12/05/11 14:45 >< NOTICE (*): *** Looking up your hostname...
zelazny.freenode.net: 12/05/11 14:45 >< NOTICE (*): *** Checking Ident
zelazny.freenode.net: 12/05/11 14:45 >< NOTICE (*): *** Found your hostname
sic shutting down: parse timeout
[~] $
When it drops back into the shell, I would like it to instead, within the same shell, have sic reconnect back with the server again, and if possible join some channels automatically (that's probably a separate project for later, unless I can manage to get shell to execute some commands within sic after it's connected).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamrent View Post
When it drops back into the shell, I would like it to instead, within the same shell, have sic...
I suspect we all were thrown by the use of the word "shell" as it appears that you are referring to two different things -- one, a state of the application during execution, & two, the "shell" used for general system interaction -- Korn shell, bash shell, etc.

From your description, it appears under certain conditions, sic simply terminates, & this is the behavior you wish to change -- as you wish to execution to not terminate. Creating a wrapper around sic as it currently is will not change its termination logic. It appears what you want to do is change the behavior of sic itself. You will need to study the source code to see where the execution logic needs to be changed, or find a forum/mailing list which focuses on the application itself.

Now, if you don't care if a different instance is started, then I would play further with a simple wrapper as jggimi originally suggested.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2011
Port Guard

If the sic is reading from stdin that you cat'ed with initial commands sic should see an EOF (end of file). When it sees that I would expect it to exit. I would not expect it to switch from reading the cat'ed or piped input to the keyboard.

> I'm trying to handle reconnects by running it in a while loop in
> the shell process and cat the initial commands into sic's stdin.