DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Port Guard

Default What version of FreeBSD should i choose

Hello,
I'm wondering what version i should install for this hardware. This is it:
Code:
NET: DHCP(Linksys)
 GeForce 2MX
 AMD Sempron 2200+(1,5 gH)
RAM: 256
Hard drive 150 GB
I know it is very old computer but we are together and we love each other so much that i couldn't harm him. I heard one processor(not double eg. 2x2.0 sorry but i don't know the word in English ) is better supported by FreeBSD 6.3. I have it and 7.0 on my hard drive both with documentation Is it true? So with this hardware i should install 6.3 And by the way what graphic manager should i choose( by graphic manager i understand sth like KDE). I want it to be simply in configure and stable. I don't like when everything which is shining ect. It must be very light cause I have a lot of ram and simple to use or configure. It don't have to have graphic configurations for system cause I want to learn how to work with console and when i have Ubuntu with it's GUI configurations it didn't work almost none of them What can U advice me?
Greetings
Arthur
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I'd use 7.0-Release and Fluxbox as a window manager. You would do yourself a big favor if you would buy some more memory, though. Even in Poland it has to be inexpensive. I did run KDE for a while on a 500MHz P3 computer with 384MB memory; it did work but no one would call is fast.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Port Guard

I know I won't run KDE or gnome and I'm thinking about new memory. So Fluxbox on my computer will work fast? But it isn't hard to configure it?
Greetings
Artur
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Fluxbox is reasonably standard, it is very small and fast, and a lot of people here know it. I played with it only briefly, but went back to Gnome. Then again, my computers have a lot more memory. You might also consider XFCE -- it is sort of in between Fluxbox and KDE/Gnome in what it does. It might fit.

You should also use the nVidia binary drivers. You will need one of the "legacy" versions since your GPU is not modern. Have a look at the documentation to see which one you need.

While your computer is not recent, it is plenty good enough for most things. My main one is a dual 2800, so it is not much faster. It works fine (though the second CPU does help a lot).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Administrator

Fluxbox worked extreemly fast on my oldschool AMD K6-2 500MHz (speed about Pentium II 350MHz) with 192 RAM, so on your box it will fly away mate

With GeForce 2MXyou can even run Compiz Fusion if you want, maybe not with all pluygins but ...

... and go for FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd