DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default Partitioning the LiveUSB drives.

Greetings, Gents:

Hope all is well. It's been awhile, so pardon the lack of retained knowlege here. I've been looking into making a LiveUSB myself (I'm running into USB drive only machines in some public places). I was contemplating a 4GB or 8GB Drive with 1GB partitioned as FAT32 (for M$ Machines) - which makes 3GB or 7GB available. I've been reviewing the documents; and have the following questions:

The FAQ Chapt 14 mentioned a few pointers regarding partitioning /swap and /var to accomodate the Machine's RAM (for core dumps). Am I correct in presuming (since the Live USB section didn't mention) that following the /swap and /var size guidelines are impractical? If so, are there any guidelines or precautions (read the minimal and most practical partition sizes) one should consider for sizing /swap and /var on LiveUSB installs? I once tried an install using the "Automated" partitioning option; and IIRC, it left a good portion of the drive unused.

If I go by the "/swap and /var = RAM of Machine most Accessed", I get
/ 250MB
/swap 2GB
/tmp 50MB
/var 2GB
/usr 2.7GB-ish
...with 1GB as FAT32

Doesn't look right - as in "Even if I do a backup of portable files from snapshot to snapshot, I don't think I can do a good number of pkg_adds and updates this way. I remember having a discussion on partitions; but can't recall it all.

Pls advise, thanks.

BTW, Congratulations, Ocicat!!!