DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th January 2017
New User

Default Calculix Package/Port segfaults

Hi Gents,

This is my first post in this forum.

I have been using FreeBSD for some months now ( coming from long use of Linux Slackware, and Arch ).

I find some packages quite useful , since am do Mechanical/Structural engineering for a living, Calculix Finite Elements software is one of my workhorse aps.

Proble is that, either from ports, or as a binary package, i do not get to invoke the preprocessor, which is a binary called "cgx" , to run.

For every flag i use ( cgx -b , as in "build" ) cgx segfaults in the command line.

I have xorg installed, as as well as xfce Window manager, and i have managed to compile/run "graphics hungry" applications, like Paraview, Gimp, Gmsh, or Brlcad, but no luck with Calculix, cgx.

It segfaults either in VMs or physical installs, no hardware isses are not to blame here...

Has any of you members managed to use this applications in Freebsd ???

So far, this is the only glitch that keeps me from installing freebsd in my ToughBook cf19 series 6 mobo.
best regards,

Alex
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2017
Port Guard

Since it could be a bug, you could contact the port mantainer. You can find the email address on the FreshPorts page of the program.

HTH
The world doesn't live off jam and fancy perfumes - it lives off bread and meat and potatoes. Nothing changes. All the big fancy stuff is sloppy stuff that crashes. I don't need dancing baloney - I need stuff that works. -- Theo de Raadt
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd January 2017
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxnix View Post
Since it could be a bug, you could contact the port mantainer. You can find the email address on the FreshPorts page of the program.

HTH
Hi

Thanks for your support, I have already emailed the maintainer, besides of having filwd a bug in Bugzilla.

What are my other options of getting this to run in Freebsd ??

If i install it in a debian jail, will it use the jail's xorg libraries ??
I have tried to run Virtualbox, but shared folder support is non existant , so, no sharing of the mesh and geometry flies created within a debian install in VirtualBox.. ;/

i really like Freebsd, much more rational and secure than pretty much ANY linux out there... but i really need to get this to run, or at least to use it... if not as compiled, then at least in emulation... so far, i have been playing with Free Open Hardened and Net *Bsds as Virtual appliances, so as to undestand how to manage the system, create ports from source, install, remove, configure security options, etc...

...if i could ditch Linux for good, i'd buy a brand new ssd, and give it a go with Free/Hardened BSD, as i feel familiar enough to do it... i only need to be able to run some productivity software... Salome Platform, OpenFOAM, Calculix, Code Aster...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th January 2017
New User

BTW, has anyone, EVER, had Calculix working in FreeBSD ?? if so, in which release ??

So far, i have tried 10.3, 11, and 12.. for no avail...

Tags
calculisegfaultx, freebsd