DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2011
domestic member

Default Help! - My BSD collection

Hi people,
I am making small but nice collection of so smaller, useful and historic BSD distros at last 3 years...I didn't find ClosedBSD and BSD/OS to complete this collection, and want some help about that from you- to tell me some more about them and eventually to tell me where I can find them or to send to me.
Thanks.
Best regards
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I didn't find ClosedBSD and BSD/OS to complete this collection...
BSD/OS was a commercial product originally marketed by BSDi, & later Wind River after acquistion. Wind River terminated BSD/OS in 2003, but this doesn't change the fact that it was a commercial product. The contractual agreements made during its life as a commercial product may prohibit the source code from ever being made freely available.

It you still want to chase this down, the situation becomes further complicated given that Wind River has since been acquired by Intel. Maybe you can find someone who is willing to part with the source, but it will be questionable if this can be done legally.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2011
Banned

ClosedBSD is a defunct project and no longer available, it's safe to ignore it even existed.

BSDi is no longer developing their BSD/OS, but it is still their product and not legally redistributeable.

Finding either is going to be difficult, and, not worth adding to any sort of collection.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2011
domestic member

Ok thanx on explanations. If I understand- BSD/OS is now something which calling abandonware- mean historical commercial, now not supported by publisher. I was interesting in license status of its source code but maybe it's not redistributable and how I saw source was more expensive than binary.
Someone talked about ClosedBSD as stabie security system and that born interesting to me to have it.
Thanx once more.
Best regards
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
...BSD/OS is now something which calling abandonware...
Most would simply call it a dead product.
Quote:
I was interesting in license status of its source code but maybe it's not redistributable and how I saw source was more expensive than binary.
This is something that can only be answered by Wind River/Intel's legal department. If you decide to inquire, be prepared to look at it from their standpoint:
  • They will have to allocate some lawyer's time. That lawyer would have to dig through all of the contracts made with third-party contractors, companies, etc. to see if their work is still distributable.
  • If discussion makes it this far, they would have to find the source code, & determine what should be provided to you. This will take one or more engineer's time. Someone will also need to determine whether there is any intellectual property they wish to retain. They will also have to figure out in what form can they provide such source.
  • They will have to decide what liability they take on by selling anything to you.
  • Then there is the contractual agreement which will need to be written up for this sale as they will probably have a number of stipulations which have to be met for legality & liability reasons. Lawyers will also have to assess whether you can be trusted to uphold your end of the deal too.
Very early in discussion they will decide amongst themselves if there is sufficient money involved to ferret out all of this information & time needed to do so. By virtual of you only being an individual, be prepared to either get a polite decline or be ignored altogether.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th September 2012
New User

I recommend to view Haiku project
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2013
Shell Scout

Some 9-10 years ago there was a Russian-made OS RuNetBSD, which, as the title suggests, was a russified remake of NetBSD 1.6.1... and a very short-living one! Today its installation distro is nowhere to find and the name is actually reserved by the Russian NetBSD community (that has nothing to do with the RuNetBSD development team).