DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

View Poll Results: what linux distro do you use and/or like?
Redhat / Centos 24 15.19%
Suse 4 2.53%
Debian 35 22.15%
Slackware 30 18.99%
Gentoo 13 8.23%
Ubuntu 23 14.56%
Others 29 18.35%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th July 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
I intended 'canonical' as in the normal usage of the word, I wasn't referring to the company. I edited my previous post to remove any confusion.
No need, I can clearly see that the misinterpretation was mine.

Some people don't like systemd due to the attitude of the main developer and some of the arrogant comments and assumptions he has made about other software projects. This is a guy who considers *BSD as irrelevant and "legacy". And that's before you even start to consider the software/project itself.
Old 30th July 2014
Open Source Software user

After AT&T, FreeBSD is the next in line to the title of 'Grandaddy of unix' & is certainly not irrelevent, as most of the internet runs on it, far more than use Linux, or Microsoft.
Spam Deminer

Installed GNU guix this week on a spare partition. I'm a little lost, though I can install packages. Very different from what I've gotten used to with OpenBSD. I'm just going to play with it off and on unless they move over to make a GNU Hurd version (uh, and then I'll play with that off and on?). Some of the weirdness here is just Linux I think. Like why is a dmesg 1000 lines long? What are all these processes?
Old 2nd August 2014
PrinceCruise

I'm good guy Greg.

Name:  leet.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  172.6 KB

Regards.
Old 3rd August 2014

Well, I get the Slackware bit, but that pic?!
ISO Quartermaster

Goodguy Greg is an Internet meme. There's pictures of that person, telling the nice things he does. His opposite is S**mbag Steve who does lots of mean things
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/good-guy-greg
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/scumbag-steve
Old 7th August 2014
PrinceCruise

I'm late but I see that scottro covered it already.

Regards.
Old 14th August 2014
dat guy

I've been a fan of Debian (due to its optional lightweight) and Fedora (because of yum history) before I made the step into the BSD world. After having played with both FreeBSD (as well as PC-BSD) and OpenBSD for a while now, I guess if I had to decide for a Linux some time in the future, I'd probably choose Slackware as it's probably the "BSD'est" of the Linuxes without having the Gentoo compiler hell.
Old 13th January 2015
Port Guard

I've been doing distro-hopping for years, with a special "love" for Gentoo Linux (love ended in ~2009).

For 2 years now I've returned to Slackware and here I'll stay!

Currently using Slackware 14.1 64bit. Very stable distro which comes with all the software I need working out-of-the box (just choose "full installation" and you have everything ranging
from text editors, then browsers and IM/mail clients and ending with media players).

So try Slack! You won't be dissapointed.

PS: Just for the record: Also using FreeBSDs, but in the context of this thread, this is offtopic.
Old 13th January 2015
dat guy

Slackware might be the UNIXiest of the Linuces indeed.
Too bad it won't work on my VirtualBox client. The kernel fails to boot.
Old 13th January 2015

Just lately I have been (re)investigating Tiny Core Linux, a modern day version of Damn Small Linux, along side of my regular AntiX Linux. SliTaz doesn't seem to want to release a modern version, otherwise I would be running that as well. I like to keep my options open.

Of the BSD's, I am looking at OpenBSD & NetBSD again. Winter is a good time to re-evaluate, when it's cold outside.
The World is Yours.

Void Linux, which has a FreeBSD style ports system, systemd-less, and uses LibreSSL.
Old 4th July 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Ah, I'd never heard of it. Trying it now, thank you.
Old 4th July 2015
OpenBSD language porter

The Void Linux people have also recommended people donate to the OpenBSD Foundation,
https://twitter.com/VoidLinux/status/573480084994158592
Old 4th July 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Well, tried it on a VM. Their documentation is sparse, and I missed that one needed a separate boot partition or the installation would fail. I fixed it by doing chroot and grub-install --force.

It's not really moving me, but that's probably because I'm old and cranky these days. Though it does remind me how everyone enjoyed using Gentoo, then got married, had families and began using Ubuntu on their machines because they no longer had the luxury of time.

Their installation page on partitioning just says this page is outdated, use cfdisk, and I think the message on needing a /boot partition was probably in the installation dialog.

Anyway, could be interesting.

EDIT:
Well went through the install again, and though there is a section on partitioning in the installer, on the VirtualBox screen I could see 82 percent and any effort to scroll down just took me to cfdisk. Well, hopefully, they'll fix their docs. Of course, one finds errors all the time--even something with the manpower of Fedora for example, has some completely outdated info on their pages. At any rate, this time made a separate boot partition and it said it installed successfully but wouldn't boot.

Anyway, while I can get it working at least by the first method--one big partition which works with every other version of Linux I've put on VirtualBox, then, when it fails to install grub, doing chroot and installing with --force, I don't see it really getting my attention, which is not its fault, just that I'm older, grouchier, and have less patience with things not working.

EDIT AGAIN: Actually, I am having fun with it, I may have dismissed it too soon, but I think they should make it a bit clearer about a boot partition. However, as I get to like it, I get more forgiving.

Last edited by scottro; 4th July 2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 4th July 2015

So, as a follow up from my January posting, I am now using OpenBSD on the majority of my machines.
dat guy

I gave Slackware another try on a different machine. Now I guess I'm not entirely sure if my next laptop shouldn't have Linux again ...
Old 29th April 2017

Whilst I went back to AntiX, (can't remember why exactly, it was something that OBSD didn't do), but have just installed OBSD 6.1 on a couple of netbooks, again.

I'm now also investigating/using Devuan based distros, MIYO & Refracta, plus trying others.
(This is a no-systemd base Linux system.)
Arp Constable

I tend to use a mix of Open Source operating systems although if I had to choose a single system for my daily driver it would be OpenBSD.

Lately, I have been playing with NetBSD although the main result has been been to make me appreciate OpenBSD even more. Still I feel a sense of acomplishment when I get NetBSD to function. FreeBSD seems overly complex when used for a Desktop. If I was dealing with large amounts of data and web traffic, I would use FreeBSD.

Of the Linux offerings, I tend toward the bleeding edge to get a sense of where OpenSource development is heading. Although I am happy with MBR boot loaders and partitioning schemes, I will have to eventually migrate to GPT/UEFI. Linux on a an older system is a safe way to get my feet wet.

I also have been using OpenWRT/LEDE on my routers. Most SOHO routers use MIPS over ARM/ARM64. My latest router uses an Atheros SoC that is MIPS based. I have flights of fantasy where I imagine picking up the inactive OpenBSD MIPS port and eventually flash a OpenBSD based/pf capable SOHO.

Last edited by shep; 30th April 2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: image -> imagine