DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2014
Shell Scout

Default Kinda cool idea

Morpheus

A cool idea. It'd be fun to work on a *BSD fork with a similar goal.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2014
Spam Deminer

What do you find interesting? Using a Plan9 base?
Since it is called Morpheus Linux, I assume they are using the Linux kernel. So one of their selling points, not using systemd, may make the distribution non-viable. Systemd is being worked into the kernel, so soon, avoiding it will be impossible for Linux systems. Perhaps a better approach would have been a system based on Plan9, modified to use Linux applications?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2014
Shell Scout

Playful aproaches like this http://www.musl-libc.org/

I'm not talking cool, like a major server OS.
Cool, like fun to use. I've always enjoyed minimalist systems and suckless tools.

While many projects will never be suitable for professional use, they are interesting to learn and develope on.
The limitations of modern demands is often due to taking away of correctness for faster development and inclussion of bulky tools. "Better method" or "correctness" is often defined by the requirements at hand. I appreciate the hacks still putting out lean clean systems and tools.

Last edited by fn8t; 19th October 2014 at 03:49 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
Systemd is being worked into the kernel, so soon, avoiding it will be impossible for Linux systems.
Suckers
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2014
Spam Deminer

Ah, a toy. Perhaps it would be fun for some people.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Ah, a toy. Perhaps it would be fun for some people.
I wish the real world systems could retain more of that toyness. Sometimes a systemd comes down from space and wipes out all of the dinosaurs.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fn8t View Post
Morpheus

A cool idea. It'd be fun to work on a *BSD fork with a similar goal.
That OS has too much suckless code not to suck if you know what I mean.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
That OS has too much suckless code not to suck if you know what I mean.
I've always admired your candor. Too bad people are so easily offended. That usually means that the person fears you are correct, but wishes to protect their sentiments with some denial of their insecurity.

Like most small projects, it will never see the time invested that it needs to even approach usability by more than a handful of folk. Even if it had greater usability, like others that have risen from obscurity, it will never reach the level of maturity many have come to expect. If one day a little project like that reaches the expectations of the mass, it will no longer have the unique qualities that made it interesting.

I am so obscure in opinion that I become easily displeased by the smallest of innovations. I liked the idea of Plan9 before people endeavored to port C++ to it. I also disliked the advent of JavaScript and the more recent Html5. Since I don't live in a world of the obscure, I am the one that must adapt.

Might mean that I am at some level autistic or that I am just getting old (stubborn).
There was this Krishnamurti guy, he once said that choice does not represent freedom. Choice is a sign of confusion. If the situation is clear, the direction is obvious without needing choice. The idea of doing everything one right way, just doesn't seem appropriate for the needs of the many, no matter how much I wish it did.

I also suffer from enjoying my own writing and the idealism of the suckie <- per Oko. Even though both may become a little redundant. Hmm.... maybe the later described the previous. I don't seem to care that much.

Last edited by fn8t; 19th October 2014 at 06:23 PM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
I've always admired your candor. Too bad people are so easily offended. That usually means that the person fears you are correct, but wishes to protect their sentiments with some denial of their insecurity.
This is the greatest compliment I ever got from anyone. Thank you for the bottom of my heart.
Old 20th October 2014
Shell Scout

Old 21st October 2014
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

If fn8t decides to write fiction, put me down for a copy!
Old 21st October 2014
Shell Scout

I'm pretty sure you mean that my concepts on software are really out there.
Old 21st October 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
I liked the idea of Plan9 before people endeavored to port C++ to it.
Link? All I can find of a C++ compiler is cfront and http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/extra/gcc/ . Note the dates on the latter. Is someone trying to port clang++/llvm or a more modern gcc?

As far as Morpheus goes, thanks for posting, it does look interesting. I'm not going to try it out cause I'm already an operating system away from home and want to keep my focus to get back, but it looks cool. Looks like they're using sh instead of rc, though, which, you know, too bad they didn't go further towards plan 9 in that respect.
Old 21st October 2014
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

Very good thinking and expression in words
Old 22nd October 2014
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Systemd is being worked into the kernel, so soon, avoiding it will be impossible for Linux systems.
What do you mean with this? systemd in the kernel space would be silly beyond belief. Perhaps you're talking about some "advanced" features systemd uses (like cgroups)? I would hardly call it "impossible to avoid"...
Spam Deminer

Comments by Poettering concerning how "haters" like the Gentoo crowd will be forced to adopt systemd included references to the kernel. I forget the details, but basically, if they can influence the kernel in any way, they will. Their goal is complete takeover after all. And soon it will be unavoidable. It is a transformation of the system, not a tweak. It is also a hostile corporate takeover. One only needs to research what systemd is, will be and who is behind it. There is enough information to write a book.
Old 22nd October 2014
Tcpdump Spy

Perhaps you're remembering this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#GNOME_integration?

http://boycottsystemd.org/ also lists something related:

Quote:
4. udev and dbus are forced dependencies. In fact, udev merged with systemd a long time ago5. The integration of the device node manager, which was once a part of the Linux kernel, is not a decision that is to be taken lightly. The political implications of it are high, and it makes a lot of packages dependent on udev, in turn dependent on systemd, despite the existence of forks, such as eudev. Starting with systemd-209, the developers now have their own, non-standard and sparsely documented sd-bus API that replaces much of libdbus's job, and further decreases transparency. Further, they intend to migrate udev to this new transport, replacing Netlink and thus making udev a systemd-only daemon6. The effects of this move are profound.

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 22nd October 2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 22nd October 2014
Spam Deminer

Not wikipaedia. The references to Gentoo and the kernel were in one of Poettering's blogs.
Old 22nd October 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Also note that at that point we intend to move udev onto kdbus as
transport, and get rid of the userspace-to-userspace netlink-based
tranport udev used so far. Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we will
not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that
point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call.
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/019657.html

Yes, the device node management being handled in userpace by udev and then udev merging into systemd has a lot to do with allowing this kind of leverage - the old devfsd was part of the Linux kernel.
Old 23rd October 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Link? All I can find of a C++ compiler is cfront and http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/extra/gcc/ . Note the dates on the latter. Is someone trying to port clang++/llvm or a more modern gcc?

As far as Morpheus goes, thanks for posting, it does look interesting. I'm not going to try it out cause I'm already an operating system away from home and want to keep my focus to get back, but it looks cool. Looks like they're using sh instead of rc, though, which, you know, too bad they didn't go further towards plan 9 in that respect.
thirdm, I was sure that there was a newer attempt than the old gcc-3.0. Been awhile since I (thought I) read the the non-plan9 mantainer attempt to port c++. After a long hunt I found not even the mention of a failed attempt similar to the one I thought I remembered. Even though this pleases me, I am sorry for false claim (which we'll have to assume it is). <- I should be banned from the internet!

Looks like frcc is right about my career in fiction