DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2009
Shell Scout

Default FreeBSD 7.2 and VirtualBox

Hello, mates!

A couple of weeks ago I've installed from ports Virtualbox, but seems that under FreeBSD 7.2 VirtualBox is not that stable - there are constant kernel crashes.

I've been checking till today the official Virtualbox page and the FreeBSD VirtualBox Wiki, but still no update on the status of VirtualBox and FreeBSD 7.2 kernel crashes fix.

On the mailing lists I've noticed people having issues with VirtualBox and CURRENT, so I guess only people running FreeBSD before 7.2 are able to run it?

Is there anyone that managed to run VirtualBox under 7.2 or CURRENT here?

Please, share your experience!

Regargs,
D

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2009
ISO Quartermaster

I've tried to run it on 7-STABLE. Right after a compile and installation, it starts up fine for me, at least as root. The VBox additions did not work for me on W2KS, but the rest of it did just fine. However, after a reboot, kldloading the VBox kernel module locks the computer completely. I've never been able to run it unless it is "fresh." No idea why. And yes, I've reported this on the -emulation list.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2009
Spam Deminer

It works fine for me in -CURRENT, but I needed to recompile my kernel without INVARIANTS and WITNESS support to prevent kernel panics.

Adam
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ
I've tried to run it on 7-STABLE. Right after a compile and installation, it starts up fine for me, at least as root. The VBox additions did not work for me on W2KS, but the rest of it did just fine. However, after a reboot, kldloading the VBox kernel module locks the computer completely. I've never been able to run it unless it is "fresh." No idea why. And yes, I've reported this on the -emulation list.
I don't remeber to have any issues while kldload-ing the module. I'm having only kernel panics during the installation of guest systems, and more precisely right after loading the ISO images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk
It works fine for me in -CURRENT, but I needed to recompile my kernel without INVARIANTS and WITNESS support to prevent kernel panics.

Adam
As far as I remember these options are disabled in the GENERIC kernel in 7-STABLE, probably in -CURRENT it's not the same case?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...g-options.html

And how does these options affect VirtualBox?

Regards,
D

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2009
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAeon View Post

As far as I remember these options are disabled in the GENERIC kernel in 7-STABLE, probably in -CURRENT it's not the same case?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...g-options.html
Correct. They are enabled by default in GENERIC in -CURRENT.

Quote:
And how does these options affect VirtualBox?
Other than preventing the kernel panic, there is no effect.

Adam
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2009
VPN Cryptographer

I installed VirtualBox on my machine earlier this week because I needed to connect to my works VPN which requires WinXP.

I'm using FreeBSD 7.2 Stable last build on June 10th. Windows XP and Windows Server 2008 both work great.

I've only had two issues:

1) Sometimes the CD device will disappear from Vbox and the only way to get it to reappear is to reboot. I tried to unload and reload the kernel module but that locks up the machine.

2)If I use the Guest Additions my video resolution is reduced and sound doesn't work. But, when I uninstall the Guest Additions Windows loses the devices and resolution can only get to 640x480.

I've tried to install OpenBSD, OpenSolaris and Solaris in Vbox but none of those would work for me. They all error when trying to detect the HDD.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
I'm using FreeBSD 7.2 Stable last build on June 10th. Windows XP and Windows Server 2008 both work great.
You have managed to start up Windows, that's good

I'm trying to install the guests using ISO images that I made on my gateway system and then copied the ISO images to an NFS share on my fileserver. And then through NFS I'm trying to install the guests from ISO and that's when the systems crashes.

The CD drive on my 7.2 desktop is broken and that's why I need to use the ISO images. Maybe VirtualBox is crashing because of the ISO images?

roddierod, could you try to start an installation of Windows XP guest using a ISO image just to see if it starts fine? At least I'll know if that's the issue

Regards,
D

#8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Sure....I'll give it a try. I'll let you know.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
The CD drive on my 7.2 desktop is broken and that's why I need to use the ISO images. Maybe VirtualBox is crashing because of the ISO images?

roddierod, could you try to start an installation of Windows XP guest using a ISO image just to see if it starts fine? At least I'll know if that's the issue
That's essentially how I installed W2KS. I copied the CD to the hard drive (the local one, though) as an ISO image and set the VBox CD to read that disk image file. That all worked fine.
Old 5th July 2009
Shell Scout

Hmm... so ISO images are not the cause for kernel panics under 7.2

Probably I'll have to wait for the next release of VirtualBox and the kernel panics fix for 7.2

Thanks for you help, mates!

P.S.: Hey, where did the "Thanks" button go? I don't see it anymore..

Old 5th July 2009
Banned

Quote:
The forum was updated recently, it got lost in the transition.. I also hope it returns eventually.
Old 6th July 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
The data associated with the ``Thank you hack'' got ehm, lost, due to, ehm, an Administrator error .

I can restore it from backups, problem is I need to parse the mysql_dump data, which is not really difficult as it is painstaking.
I made progress on it, but more work needs to be done.

Enabling the mod now and merging the data later (From the backup and the new data) would be even more difficult, so for the sake of my sanity I disabled the mod for now ...
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker
The data associated with the ``Thank you hack'' got ehm, lost, due to, ehm, an Administrator error .

I can restore it from backups, problem is I need to parse the mysql_dump data, which is not really difficult as it is painstaking.
I made progress on it, but more work needs to be done.

Enabling the mod now and merging the data later (From the backup and the new data) would be even more difficult, so for the sake of my sanity I disabled the mod for now ...
Ah, ok

Well, we don't want to ruin the forums database, do we? If it's not that easy to restore it, we can still live without the button

Thanks, anyway!

Regards,
D