DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th December 2008
Spam Deminer

Default Wine: Your Experiences

I hadn't use Wine in years. I really did like the Codeweavers products, but unfortunately they only released an unsupported build of Crossover Games for PC-BSD/FreeBSD. Looking at the AppDB, I decided to give Wine another shot. I had already replaced OpenOffice with Microsoft Office Mac 2008 on my MacBook Pro (don't ask-I needed to). For the same reason, I needed Microsoft Office 2007 (don't ask-I needed to). So, I installed Wine and then installed Office 2007. Everything went fine. Word and Excel ran very well, but Powerpoint required an override, which was no hassle. I also installed Adobe Photoshop CS, which runs well. I would've gone for a newer version, but it's the latest legitimate version of Photoshop I have for Windows. I have CS4 Master for Mac.

In my experience, Wine has matured quite a lot since the alpha and beta days. I remember Wine being a nightmare to use, but these days, it's become quite seamless. So, I'm very happy that I was able to change my workflow to accomodate my needs because using Windows does not make me happy. I've included some screenshots of me running some apps through Wine via X11 forwarding on my Mac (long story).

What's everyone else's experiences with Wine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2(2).jpg (46.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2(dsfasdf2).jpg (33.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 4.jpg (37.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1(2).jpg (57.7 KB, 105 views)